• Steeplechase Trains?

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by njt4172

Nick,

Nice photos! I especially like the F40 shot on the Millington trestle. Were you going through railroad.net withdrawl during the outage???LOL :-) :-D

Steve

by nick11a

njt4172 wrote:Nick,

Nice photos! I especially like the F40 shot on the Millington trestle. Were you going through railroad.net withdrawl during the outage???LOL :-) :-D

Steve
How did you know! Yeah, I was going through major withdrawl pains. The insomnia, the shakes, the works. Haha. Yeah, it was a lot of fun on Saturday. I'm looking forward to next year already for some other locations! Did you get a chance to come out to "cow country" by any chance?
  by henry6

Rode the 9:05a out of Dover Sat 10/23. There was a deadhead move out about 8:55. Our train was standing room only into Summit for the Steeplechase crowd; all were seated out of Summit to NYP. Coming back via Hoboken (lv.:4:05p) the 3 car mu ran like a scared jackrabbit between stations then was put in the hole east of the station at Summit. Summit was croweded upon arrival. Switch to Dover train and got pokey ride to Dover!

by nick11a

^Yeah, at least one of the 8 car Push Pulls said "Dover" on it so it wasn't to hard to figure out possibly where that train came from. The rest said "New York" or something like that. And yes, the amount of people was unbelievable. Service is only probably gonna grow in the oncoming years too.

by njt4172

nick11a wrote:
njt4172 wrote:Nick,

Steve
How did you know! Yeah, I was going through major withdrawl pains. The insomnia, the shakes, the works. Haha. Yeah, it was a lot of fun on Saturday. I'm looking forward to next year already for some other locations! Did you get a chance to come out to "cow country" by any chance?
Nick,

No unfortunately it slipped my mind and I thought it was on Sunday so I missed the whole event... RATS :-( I'll be sure to not miss it next year though. Seeing the 6 car Mu trains must have been cool!

Steve

by njtmnrrbuff

Those are nice shots especially of the ALP and the V taken with the farmland in the background. That shot reminds me of a shot that I got by Woodbury Commons of the transit F40, which I hope they came out very well. Unfortunately, I couldn't make it to railfan at Millburn because I had other commitments in Montclair. Reading your list of all the consists that were on the extra trains, it seems I would have enjoyed what I would have seen if I railfanned that day. The day after Thanksgiving weather permitting, I am planning for the first time to ride WORMS in both directions to Dover from Upper Montclair. Now, that I've ridden all of transit, I will be photographing the trains a little more. I do hope to see a solid set of 1Bs. Anyway, getting back to the steeplechase, a long time ago, I rode out to Peapack with my grandmother on the day of the horse race, I think in 94. They were running long MUs then as well as the regular service, just with too many delays in the morning.

by nick11a

Thanks. It's a lot of fun and highly recomend for a day of railfanning for next year if you're able to do it. Just stay away from Far Hills Train Station and the Moorewhateveriscalled farm. That shot with the ALP was taken from accross a private farm on Teaneck rode. I took it from the fence. I would strongly discourage anyone from going on the farm as it is private and owned be wealthy people (as is everything out there) and it would probably make them not very happy (even though it is humongous and not a person in sight.)

by njtmnrrbuff

Yes, that is good thinking. Well, of course, that is REAL private property. My shots of the PJL came out well, especially with the utility poles in the background. I know for a fact that the M&E and Gladstone offers some of those opporitunities.

by Lackawanna484

The Star-Ledger had an article on the police presence at the Steeplechase. Huge impact, with several hundred cops, processing centers for booking people. Arrested 25 people on a range of charges from fighting to dope.

My sister said the New Providence cops had a presence at both the NP and Murray Hill station, doing alcohol / container checks prior to people boarding trains.

The article doesn't mention it, but the Bernardsville Fire Dept was delayed in responding to a fire at Saint Bernard's Church. Many of their people were caught in the molasses of traffic on 202. Major damage at the church.

http://www.nj.com/search/index.ssf?/bas ... ledger?nso

by nick11a

Lackawanna484 wrote:The Star-Ledger had an article on the police presence at the Steeplechase. Huge impact, with several hundred cops, processing centers for booking people. Arrested 25 people on a range of charges from fighting to dope.

My sister said the New Providence cops had a presence at both the NP and Murray Hill station, doing alcohol / container checks prior to people boarding trains.

The article doesn't mention it, but the Bernardsville Fire Dept was delayed in responding to a fire at Saint Bernard's Church. Many of their people were caught in the molasses of traffic on 202. Major damage at the church.

http://www.nj.com/search/index.ssf?/bas ... ledger?nso
Plus, that day, part of the Bernadsville Fire Department was at Bernardsville Train Station charging 10 Dollars per spot to park there. Proceeds went to the Bernardsville Fire Department so that might have affected things too. Not sure though.

And yes, cops were all around. I saw some at Bernardsville and Basking Ridge Stations.