• Steely Dan and The Wolverine

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Otto Vondrak

So the band Steely Dan sings about taking the train up to Annandale, NY (the home of Bard College, where Steely Dan founders Don Faegen and Walter Becker went to school together).
I remember the thirty-five sweet goodbyes/When you put me on the Wolverine/Up to Annandale
So once again I'm going to expose my ignorance here. Could you take the Wolverine to Annandale? I think the closest station would be Rhinecliff on those days... who wants to hazard a guess?

-otto-
  by ChiefTroll

Surprise! No. 17 (the subject train) stopped at Rhinecliff in the 1960's around 8:30 p.m. (it varied from TT to TT). It also stopped at Beacon and Poughkeepsie but only to receive passengers for west of Albany. Rhinecliff was an "S" (unconditional) stop. Bard College is about 8 miles from Rhinecliff Station.

by Otto Vondrak

Thanks! I'll think of the song the next time I'm on Amtrak's Lake Shore Ltd.

-otto-
  by jmp883

Never even thought to investigate that railroad reference!!!!

'My Old School'......one of their better tunes!

Joe P :-D

by Brad Smith

I've always liked Steely Dan but thought they were California dudes and assumed Annandale was somewhere north of LA! Well, you know what they say, that when you assume, you make an ............ :wink:
  by bingdude

:-D

And all these years I thought they were singing about Annandale, VA, since: "..William and Mary Won't Do..."

But I wondered how they took the Wolverine there.

I guess I was wrong.

by onder

Bardlings still take the train...up to Rhinecliff and then
they rubber tire it home to Commie U.