Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by DutchRailnut

Other than shop moves(for repair purpose) a non-compliance engine can not be moved on mainline or in yards without authority.
This Authority can only be ETT, GO or M form, no other way around it.
  by Jayjay1213

DutchRailnut wrote:Other than shop moves(for repair purpose) a non-compliance engine can not be moved on mainline or in yards without authority.
This Authority can only be ETT, GO or M form, no other way around it.
Are the new engines truly non-compliant, or just not accepted by MN. If it has a valid blue card and daily inspection, is that non-compliant? Because it was not accepted, or new to MN does not make it non-compliant... if i am wrong, please feel free to show me the error in my ways

I have as well observed one being moved around Harmon yard under its own power a few weeks ago.
  by DutchRailnut

A Blue card only shows that a locomotive is inspected as per FRA rules and complies with mechanical FRA rules.
For a locomotive to be able to move on a railroad it has to have clearance and be included on engine page, with any listed exceptions.
Even to be tested, the locomotive needs to be included, either by bulletin, or ETT listing speeds etc, it can be moved at, and it needs a M form for any tracks or locations it is not cleared yet.
A locomotive not listed can not be moved over a railroad without specific clearance of clearance bureau.
I remember sitting in Poughkeepsie, waiting for wire bulletin to tow first genesis to Harmon, despite Amtrak already having Genesis on Hudson for months.
  by Jayjay1213

DutchRailnut wrote:A Blue card only shows that a locomotive is inspected as per FRA rules and complies with mechanical FRA rules.
For a locomotive to be able to move on a railroad it has to have clearance and be included on engine page, with any listed exceptions.
Even to be tested, the locomotive needs to be included, either by bulletin, or ETT listing speeds etc, it can be moved at, and it needs a M form for any tracks or locations it is not cleared yet.
A locomotive not listed can not be moved over a railroad without specific clearance of clearance bureau.
I remember sitting in Poughkeepsie, waiting for wire bulletin to tow first genesis to Harmon, despite Amtrak already having Genesis on Hudson for months.
I understand this is how things operate on Metro North,(and I say that because I have seen things done differently at some of my other employers) what I was pointing out was that they were specified as non-compliant. Is that the proper term for them or actually not "cleared for service"? It was my understanding that a non-compliant locomotive is usually something in reference to a mechanical or safety condition that does not meet CFR standards..

Maybe one day I will learn how to correctly use the quote function :-D
Last edited by Jayjay1213 on Mon May 18, 2009 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by DutchRailnut

Non-Compliant means anything that makes a piece of equipment not comply with FRA or Company rules and regulations.
  by DutchRailnut

Monday a bulletin Order was issued on the BL14cg effective Tuesday morning.
Stating : # 401-402 BL14cg 1400 hp 1000 Gallon fuel max speed 30 light - 30 multiple - 50 with train units do have ATC.

Looks like someone was reading over our shoulder ;-)
  by RearOfSignal

If the brakes for some reason fail on a single light engine there are no cars behind it to assist in braking.
  by DutchRailnut

The gearing on these is for GCT switching only, the 50 mph with train would be a no no as well, as these units have freight cab signal with max speed of 45 mph.
  by Jayjay1213

Caught the 543 on the concrete tie train at CP-61 today on the Hudson Line...
  by AMK0123

Caught work train 103, GP35r's 103 and 105 southbound through Garrison station at 9:20 pm with several emptie concrete tie cars.
  by Otto Vondrak

Jayjay1213 wrote:Caught the 543 on the concrete tie train at CP-61 today on the Hudson Line...
You may have caught 543's last assignment. She was in Harmon on 6/2 getting her stacks capped. MN 543 is former NYC 5770, I think the only nearly-unmodified ex-New York Central locomotive on the roster.
  by L'mont

Otto Vondrak wrote: You may have caught 543's last assignment. She was in Harmon on 6/2 getting her stacks capped. MN 543 is former NYC 5770, I think the only nearly-unmodified ex-New York Central locomotive on the roster.
It couldn't be more than a couple of years since the 543 and the 750 saw a decent overhaul. Why push them out so fast, I wonder?
  by FL9AC

The 750 has had a lot of electrical "gremlins" for a long time now so that may have been the nail in the coffin for that unit. The 543 was never really overhauled except for a new paintjob about five years ago. That unit is actually in pretty good running condition and is a mystery why it would be stored already since any new replacements have yet to be delivered/tested.
  by DutchRailnut

GP35r #105 on PMMO today.