Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by MNCRR9000

Latest update regarding the Danbury Branch signal system project from January 24th, 2011.

http://www.ct.gov/dot/lib/dot/documents ... b_2011.pdf
CDOT, M-N and Ducci has developed the 2011 track outage schedule to accommodate additional cable tray installation. Off-peak weekday track outages will begin April 4, 2011 and continue to August 23, 2011 with no track outages on Memorial Day( May 30th) or July 4th. The continuous weekend track outages will begin on June 11, 2011 to August 28, 2011 with no track outage on the 4th of July weekend(July 2nd and 3rd).
Link to pictures of the construction from the URS corporation:
http://danburyctc.ursokr.com/photos2.pdf

Like the brochures that are put together by the URS corporation:
http://danburyctc.ursokr.com/signals/Issue%202.pdf
  by DutchRailnut

Governor Rell ?? how old is this crap ??
  by MNCRR9000

DutchRailnut wrote:Governor Rell ?? how old is this crap ??
Its from August 2010. I thought I would post it anyway since some members may be interested in it.
  by Clean Cab

Wow!! Connecticut is only paying $2 million for this project? What a bargain for them!!!
  by Ridgefielder

Driving through West Redding on Sunday morning I saw a large group of people and machinery at work near the Long Ridge Road crossing. Also noticed that a conduit for the signal cables has been installed on the side of the Saugatuck River bridge just south of the Redding station platform. At Branchville yesterday evening, there was nobody around but there were more signs of progress-- some small excavators were parked on the ROW just north of the station building (in the space where the siding used to extend south), and it looked like they were preparing to pour a replacement for the signal footing that was knocked askew over the winter, presumably in the course of snow removal. I did not, however, notice if the plow train was still parked in Dock yard at South Norwalk.
  by Jeff Smith

Back to weekend and off-peak bussing: https://www.facebook.com/#!/notes/mta-m ... 3570438322
Busing is being done to accommodate the ongoing construction of a new signal system on the Danbury Branch.

Off-Peak Weekdays (Through August 19):

• Departing Danbury, bus service will replace the 9:37 AM, 12:21 PM and 2:54 PM trains to South Norwalk.
• Departing South Norwalk, bus service will replace the 8:50 AM, 11:11 AM and 2:11 PM trains to Danbury.

Weekends (through August 21):

• Buses operate each weekend from 7 AM Saturdays to 1:30 AM on Mondays.

Bus service for Bethel, Redding, Branchville, Cannondale, Wilton and Merritt 7, is highlighted in yellow on the April 3, 2011 New Haven Line timetable.

We appreciate your patience during this improvement to our right-of-way.
  by andre

there was much confusion for the passengers this weekend, the bus schedule departing danbury is 20 minutes earlier then the train schedule lots of people were arriving 10minutes before traintime only to find a bus schedule taped up for a bus that had left 20 minutes prior... however at south norwalk there was a very good connection with the mainline train.

the HLCX 6200 SD40-2 was on the branchline pulling the work equipment saturday
  by theozno

bussing has pushed my threshold to the limit. I'm Driving for now.
  by DutchRailnut

Tomorrow the Plow train will start in morning for further test plowing, train is starting from Branchville probably around 7/8 am.
consist HLMX 6200 (sd40-2) plow car mncr flat for cable (empty) Micheals flat for cable (empty) Michaels part box car and MNCR Hopper or maibe hopper will be replaced by Caboose 1402 (currently at Dock yard)
its expected for plow train to work 3 consecutive 12 hour shifts.
  by DutchRailnut

in last two weekends the cable/sleeve have been put in from Seeley Rd mp 9.5 (north of cannondale) to Perry Ave mp 2.9 in Norwalk.
next week due to 4th of july no plowing, train service will be provided.
At Bethel MofW is assembling two new switches on Bethel siding track for new bethel controlled siding.
and thank God they started tree cutting from Mp 0.0 to MP 1.1 so far, only 20 more weeks to go before entire branch could be done...
  by DutchRailnut

This weekend the cable/sleeve was trenched from Perry Avenue to Science road and a small piece of skipped territory near kent road.
also first electrical boxes have been placed and south switch at Bethel went in, with this weekend having north switch installed at Bethel.
  by Clean Cab

Signs of good progress.
  by Amtrak7

Any idea of what the service enhancements will be once the project is done? May 2012 isn't that far away, only 2 more schedule changes I believe.