• Status of 155 105 and L&I

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
  by John 61

I heard that # 155 was OOS with some type of electrical fire. This photo turned up and it also shows 105 and an L&I unit on the shop tracks. The L&I unit seems to have the stacks covered but not the other two units. Any info??
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=128100

by Mr GP10

You know I cant understand why this railroad always haves some major malfunction with their motive power. first 156 went bad then 159 then 151. As well as 9321, 201, 261, 268 need I say more???? Now whats this about 155 having a fire?? Will it be repaired or will it be "stipped for parts"? like the 156 was. I hope its not to serious. :(

by Jayjay1213

Basically some electrical components burnt themselves out. It wasn't really a fire. Where they are, and the process to change them out is what holds it back.

by Scrap em Again

A little engine update;

101, 105, 106 up
151 up
156 & 159 up, no ASC
155 down
261 & 270 down
268 & 271 up (but 271 is starting to lose it)
9373 up
9321 down

Well as maybe you all heard we have new mechanical forces at NYA, and these guys are no joke!! They are actually enthusiastic about fixing the whole fleet. In about 6-7 months we should have every engine online. New ASC is being order from GE for the speed controlled units.

201s' "feet" will be back from the dead. Tonight the RS-50 will be hauling its trucks back to Pond in a gon. 261 has a birdsnested motor in the lead truck. The whole truck will be taken out from under the 261 and replaced with the one from 201. Now there will be two trucks lying around with 1 blown traction motor. They will be condensed to make one good truck for the 270, while the 2 remaining motors will be sold as a "core exchange' for to reconditioned motors, which will be installed under the 270 also. So within a few weeks 261 and 270 will be back on the road with new wheels.

Possibly 159 will have its ASC working this weekend, so that might be on the road as well. The oil problem has been corrected, and new fuel injectors installed today, as well as the necessary MU connections on the front. The only engines where work has not begun on are 155 and 9321. They require the most labor at the moment to run, so they are being saved till the 38's are running well.

by Mr GP10

WHY didnt they just tow the WHOLE 201 back to pond and possibly TRY to fix it? Since the NYA now has a new mechanical forces to get these engines up running just my 0.02 worth. :(

by emfinite

I think the crews would much rather have a GP38...

Joe

by Scrap em Again

As of 1500 hrs 159 fully equipped with ASC is cleared for mainline service.
If everything works well, it will be the first time that engine will lead a train in 4 years!!. It will make its maiden run on the RS80 tonight, and assuming it does not fail, look for it on the RS30 tomorrow on the Pt. Jeff branch.
I would love to see 201 back in service too, but we have to get real here, the engine was good to use around the yard, on the road it did not perform too well as you all know it went straight to Gershow from Pineaire. The engines scrap metal value is around 20k as a whole. To fix it you would need 20k for a wheel/traction motor combo. To put ASC in it from scratch would cost about 20k also. As you see we are in the red already here. If the unit was about the same age as our fleet, Im sure overhaul would be considered.
Now on the positive side Mr. GP10, its trucks will give a new lease on life to the 261 and 270. That alone is worth a hell of alot. So the 201 did not die in vain :wink: . You can thank the 201 for helping keep the road fleet alive. May she rest in pieces for her sacrifice!!

by John 61

Will the RS-30 be going all the way out to Port Jeff??

by Long Island 7285

Poor 201, HEy can gershow donate it and bring it to my backyard, and NYA can swap out trucks and wheelsets from there damaged ones,

I think 201 would be a nice lawn decoration, paint it in goodfellow and place a 3 chime nathan on her roof. re number it and install lights. :-D :wink:

by M1 9147

Joe, anything would look good in your back yard. If you do get 201, then I'll help you restore it there!

by Scrap em Again

Update,

261 back up and running with a traction motor from the 201.

Next is the 270. 4 new traction motor/wheel combos were delivered to FP yesterday. 270 will use both trucks from 201 with the 4 new motors installed into to them.

One of 270's trucks has good wheels and motors on it, so that truck will be placed under 271 which has one thin set on it.

8 more combos have been ordered for the MP15s. Me thinks 155 will be the first MP re-trucked followed by the 151.

by emfinite

Excellent report, Scrap. Glad to hear things are looking up for these poor engines. How have the 261 and 268 been fairing after their "tune up" by P&W a few years back? The 268 seems to be on the road most often out of the whole bunch.

Joe

by emfinite

The 261 was the trailing unit tonight (2/3) on the RS-80 which also had the 151.

Joe

by Scrap em Again

A little update,

Well things are looking up for the NYA fleet, the engines are comming back from the dead!

271 was delivered by the RS80 to Morris Park Monday night for installation of 4 new axles and traction motors (combos). It will be picked up tomorrow buy us, to be brought back to Pond for a little fine tuning.

270 will have new trucks placed under it tomorrow. The trucks from the 201 have been rebuilt fully with 4 combos and side bearings. This job will be done in house using a 300 ton crane to lift the engine, roll the old trucks into the shop, and place it on the rebilt ones.

The trucks from the 270 will be rebuilt next week by shop personel with 4 combos, and the 155 will be recieving those probably next Friday.

After these units will be rebuilt, they will all go in for 3 year airbrake and periodic inspections, so by late next week we should see at least the 271 & 270 running followed shortly by 155. This only leaves the 101 and 9321 OOS, but I already heard plans for them, so it might not be long.

As for repaints, I heard from el presidente that 270 is next. Once the 156 gets retrofitted with its new ASC package, We might see these two running together.

by tushykushy

saaaaweeeeet.