• Station Employees

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
  by PC1100

Just out of curiosity, which New Haven Railroad stations had Station Masters and Assistant Station Masters in the last 3 decades of the railroad? Also did any of these stations have Gatemen/Ushers, and if so which was the term used by the NH? I know the New York Central used the term "Gateman" while the Pennsylvania used the term "Usher." Thanks to anyone for help with this.
  by Noel Weaver

Speaking for my period which means 1956 and after the following stations had station masters to the best of my knowledge:
Bridgeport, New Haven, Hartford, Springfield, New London, Providence and Boston plus both Grand Central Terminal and
Penn Station in New York under the New York Central and Pennsylvania Railroads. The Boston station master was employed
by the Boston Terminal Corp and Springfield again by the New York Central.
Some places the station master more or less performed the duties of a yardmaster, New Haven was an example of this,
most of the others the station master simply ran the station operation. In New London the station master was considered a
yardmaster but handled the station functions too.
I think Bridgeport, Hartford and Providence all lasted through to the end of the New Haven Railroad on January 1, 1969.
Waterbury also had one until around 1950 or so.
Noel Weaver
  by PC1100

Noel, thanks for the response! Very interesting about the yardmaster duties. Any recollection as to whether there were any gatemen or ushers at New Haven?
  by Noel Weaver

PC1100 wrote:Noel, thanks for the response! Very interesting about the yardmaster duties. Any recollection as to whether there were any gatemen or ushers at New Haven?
I don't know what the job title was but at one time at the bottom of every stairway in the tunnel under the tracks there were
train boards that held signs indicating the time the train would depart, the destination of the train and most of the stops.
I liberated a couple of those signs many years ago when the jobs were abolished which took place under the New Haven long
before the Penn Central takeover. They even had signs for the Cape Cod trains, the State of Maine and the trains to
Montreal and B & M points beyond Springfield. The other way there were also signs for trains headed to Philadelphia and
Washington. New Haven also had red caps at one time.
Noel Weaver