• State purchase of Springfield-New Haven line?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by theozno

I was curious if any of you guys had any info for on this. I was curious to if you guys knew when the state of ct will take over the line
Last edited by theozno on Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by gprimr1

I don't see Amtrak selling. They have issues with Metro North and dealing with Metro North on it's terms, not Amtraks.

The line is predominatly single tracked with several large siddings. It hosts Regional, Vermonter and Springfield Shuttle services using diseil engines added and removed at New Haven.

The route is prime for electrification, which is being discussed in the Amtrak forum. If CDOT actually decided to run on it, it might give Amtrak enough to install the nessisary wiring.

On the north end, the route meets with CSX and heads to the Palmer interlocking.

by shadyjay

It would be nice if Amtrak sold the Springfield Line to CDOT. The ideal solution would be to just operate Amtrak's Vermonter and a couple through Springfield-Washington 140-serise trains. If/when CDOT gets commuter service started on the line, I can't see Amtrak wanting to continue their 400-series shuttles on the line. Guess it all depends on a number of factors - including what frequency/build alternative is selected. A minimum build would just add some CDOT weekday trains in addition to Amtrak trains, with no new stations. Wait and see. Regardless, if commuter service is started, I'm pretty sure at least some new double track would be installed.

-Jay

why

by Noel Weaver

This is presently two spots over from another Springfield Line topic.
Why do new ones have to get started with another one so close?
Suggest they be combined.
Noel Weaver

by theozno

Adding the new track thats designed for this day and age would that as well be able to speed up the line?
be nice if you could shave off up to an hour between nh-springfield because then you might be able to get a slight intrest in ski trains again...
shadyjay wrote:It would be nice if Amtrak sold the Springfield Line to CDOT. The ideal solution would be to just operate Amtrak's Vermonter and a couple through Springfield-Washington 140-serise trains. If/when CDOT gets commuter service started on the line, I can't see Amtrak wanting to continue their 400-series shuttles on the line. Guess it all depends on a number of factors - including what frequency/build alternative is selected. A minimum build would just add some CDOT weekday trains in addition to Amtrak trains, with no new stations. Wait and see. Regardless, if commuter service is started, I'm pretty sure at least some new double track would be installed.

-Jay

by Otto Vondrak

Who said the state was purchasing this line?

I'll let the moderator decide what to do with this thread tonight. I think this has been discussed on this board already.

-otto-

by Robert Paniagua

Yes, there's a duplicate thread abut this in other forums, so I'll leave this one closed.