• St. James NYA service

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
  by Legio X

Is NYA still serving that customer who, if I recall correctly, was receiving bulkhead flatcars or gondolas carrying steel at a spur in the vicinity of St. James?

by Jayjay1213

Indeed they are. There was a CSXT gon up there last week, not sure if its been picked up.

by VCRail

From someone who grew up in St. James: who's the receiving customer who's transloading? The only steel company I can think of in the area is Twin County Steel over by Middle Country Road.

by John 61

The comany is Ideal Steel. They are new in the area. I think they might have taken over the company you mentioned. They are located on a side street on the north side of Middle Country road by all the car dealerships.

by Legio X

What does Ideal Steel make with the steel that they receive via the NYA, and how frequently are they served by NYA each month?

by LUVFREIGHTTRAINS

What time does NYA service this cust? Love to get some shots with the snow on the ground...and also where abouts is Ideal Steel from the St James Station? Not too familar with the area...thanks

David
  by mwichten

Ideal steel is located on Northern Boulevard in St. James, about 1000' north of Route 25.

They don't make anything there, they just sell the steel :)

I have to give them a little advertisement - they helped me out big time with a flitch plate for my house. I had an order placed at a welder nearby for twice the price and a one week lead time. When I was dissatisfied with the progress of the order I had already waited over a week for, I remembered a place that used to be called Twin County Steel, but when I arrived it was called Ideal Steel. They quoted me half the price and loaded it on my truck within 20 minutes. If anyone needs anything metal, check them out.

The building is huge, filled with I beams, tubing, flat stock and sheets of metal. They have some small equipment there, but it didn't look like they did much fabrication there- It appeared as if they sell it all.

by Legio X

Did NYA approach them about rail freight service, or vice-versa?

by Jayjay1213

Probably the customer approached the NYA. The RS-30 usually services the customer from 1130am to 1300.

by Legio X

Anything spotted here lately? Also, is this a siding, or a spur?

by Jayjay1213

They had a car in the yard over a week ago, not sure if it is on spot, or came and gone by now.

by M1 9147

Went by there at St. James, and nothing in the siding as of 2/6 unless there was a delivery that I don't know of.

by VCRail

St. James has just one switch on the west end. It used to be a much longer siding with an additional switch on the east end. When they put in the high level platforms, it was all ripped up. The last big project I remember occupying the full siding was a welded-rail train one summer about twenty years ago. (But now I'm heading off topic. Now we could go into when the old potato house in St. James last saw service but I'd say that's for the LIRR forum).
  by freightguy

A new gon was spotted by the the RS-70 for Ideal Steal on the St. James team track. I think this is the one that has been in the yard for a couple of weeks. It was a CSXT gondola.

by John 61

St James had one empty bulkhead picked up earlier this week and tthe NYA spotted two gondolas. Today I noticed a loaded bulkhead of steel was set out too. A total of three in the siding for Ideal Steel.