• Sports Express

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by Hebrewman9

Having gone to a lot of Phillies games, I must say that the Sports Express service is very convenient. It bridges the whole line in usually less than 25 minutes, which is a lot faster than the locals. It's also quite entertaining, as quite often (especially after a game) you'll see Philly fans at their best (or worst, depending on how you look at it) after a game.

Even though it's fast, I'd like to see these runs (at least the returning ones) run non-stop Olney-City Hall. I know, it destroys the simplicity, but few people get on between those stops anyway. Also, on the way back from night games, the express tracks are empty, so there would be no normal expresses to slow them down.

On question also- is their a speed restriction for passing platforms? I ask because the sports express trains always slow down to bypass stations south of Walnut-Locust.
  by ekt8750

Hebrewman9 wrote: On question also- is their a speed restriction for passing platforms? I ask because the sports express trains always slow down to bypass stations south of Walnut-Locust.
Yeah believe it's a federal regulation. You really don't want some train barrelling through a station at 70-80 mph pushing a wall of air down the tracks knocking people over.
  by redarrow5591

ekt8750 wrote:
Hebrewman9 wrote: On question also- is their a speed restriction for passing platforms? I ask because the sports express trains always slow down to bypass stations south of Walnut-Locust.
Yeah believe it's a federal regulation. You really don't want some train barrelling through a station at 70-80 mph pushing a wall of air down the tracks knocking people over.
That's a regulation on any heavy rail operation. Any bypassing train must slow down to approach speed within station limits. Besides, unless they are single tracking on 3 Track (the southbound runner between Lombard-South and Pattison) they'll have to slow down anyway.
  by Matthew Mitchell

redarrow5591 wrote:That's a regulation on any heavy rail operation.
Federal? I didn't think FTA regulated rail transit the way FRA regulates commuter rail.

by PopeDX

Yeah, from Abington it's so much easier (and cheaper) to park at Fern Rock and take that than drive.

Just wish they'd put a garage in the middle there at Fern Rock already :)

Hopefully they make service on game day to the soccer stadium in Chester just as convenient. Apparently Highland Ave. is getting a redo in anticipation...

by jb9152

There is no federal regulation mandating a speed to pass passenger platforms for operations that are under the FTA aegis (i.e. rail transit). That's something that individual transit companies decide upon for themselves.

by cpontani

PopeDX wrote:Yeah, from Abington it's so much easier (and cheaper) to park at Fern Rock and take that than drive.

Just wish they'd put a garage in the middle there at Fern Rock already :)

Hopefully they make service on game day to the soccer stadium in Chester just as convenient. Apparently Highland Ave. is getting a redo in anticipation...

Why would Sepat put any money into a station that is hardly reaching the minimum daily standard of 75 boardings and alightings? Chester TC is more suited for this role.

by PopeDX

Highland Ave. is a lot closer to the stadium site (right next to the Commodore Barry). One of the owners said that there'll be shuttle buses from there as well as CTC on game days.

by Jersey_Mike

That's a regulation on any heavy rail operation. Any bypassing train must slow down to approach speed within station limits. Besides, unless they are single tracking on 3 Track (the southbound runner between Lombard-South and Pattison) they'll have to slow down anyway.
WRONG, PATCO express trains pass through stations at the full 65mph. The SEPTA policy probably stems from the fact or the perception of waiting SEPTA passengers having a tendency to foul the loading gauge. From my experience SEPTA does have a higher proportion of drunks and stumble bums on its system so trains need to be ready to stop when they encounter someone fallen onto the trackbed.

by ChemiosMurphy

WRONG, PATCO express trains pass through stations at the full 65mph. The SEPTA policy probably stems from the fact or the perception of waiting SEPTA passengers having a tendency to foul the loading gauge. From my experience SEPTA does have a higher proportion of drunks and stumble bums on its system so trains need to be ready to stop when they encounter someone fallen onto the trackbed.
I agree with Jersey Mike. I've seen Amtrak trains blow by the outer tracks at Hamilton at breakneck speeds.

by Trackseventeen

Jersey_Mike wrote:
WRONG, PATCO express trains pass through stations at the full 65mph. The SEPTA policy probably stems from the fact or the perception of waiting SEPTA passengers having a tendency to foul the loading gauge. From my experience SEPTA does have a higher proportion of drunks and stumble bums on its system so trains need to be ready to stop when they encounter someone fallen onto the trackbed.[/quot

Yeah, that's because PATCO knows how to run a subway...

Ding, Ding... "Train approaching, please stand back, this train may not stop" is an anoucement you hear at every PATCO station.

by polybalt

I don't know anything about Broad Street signals, but point out that many older subway systems, including NYC, have speed restrictions through platforms because the signal system blocks are laid out assuming the "civil" speed limit through stations is, say, 15mph. This was done to allow closer headways, since a train entering astation could be given a clear signal soon after the leading train cleared the platform. In this case, it is necessary to restrict run-thru trains to the signal design speed to avoid the possiblity of a rear-end collision with a train just ahead. Modern systems, such as PATCO, lay out the signal blocks for full civil speed through the stations.

Pete Schmidt