Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by benltrain

Otto Vondrak wrote:Thursday will be a washout. Maybe Friday will work out.

-otto-
Damn, every day I could railfan in the next week before I leave is supposed to be a washout, so I went out today (in philly, not NYC).

Hope you get some great pics Otto!

by checkthedoorlight

I see that the first U.S. Open special has been posted on the big board:

05:30 AM 18 MAMARONECK U.S. OPEN

gotta wonder who's going to be leaving that early....must be a train full of employees for the event?

I'd love to get my eyes on the full operating plan for this week, just to see how MNRR handles all this extra traffic...there must be deadheads and equipment moves up the wazoo (since the 1:53AM to Southeast is also leaving from track 18, that's at least one overnight equipment move to be done), especially since some Stamford-based trains like 1319 and 1327 are starting in New Haven. I wonder too which platform the trains that start/end at Mamaroneck are going to use, since the station is roughly halfway between CP217 and CP222....maybe New Rochelle Yard will be seeing some mid-day layups?

by Otto Vondrak

I photographed 1637 at Rye eastbound and deadheaded westbound at Harrison. Today I shot 1637 eastbound at Harrison and westbound at Rye. Go figure. Neither shot I took was stellar, but it was fun to see the trainset run this far west. My friend JSW did far better and ventured to New Rochelle where they turned the trainset... anyone else see 1637 this morning?

-otto-

by checkthedoorlight

great job Otto...those photos would make some great trivia questions in a couple years

by Fred G

I managed to catch him at Rye this afternoon. Like you, Otto, I missed the 24pt Helvetica fine print on the timetable earlier in the week :P

A couple of shots
http://www.madre-de-dios.org/gallery2/d ... ng+Rye.jpg
http://www.madre-de-dios.org/gallery2/d ... at+Rye.jpg

I was happy to see them show some pride in the operation and use the GP40 and not one of the leased Amtrak P40's.

by Otto Vondrak

Fred, those are great shots. Looks like you made the most of the afternoon light!

-otto-

by Terrapin Station

Photos from the other end of the line:

http://www.railfanwindow.com/gallery/album272
  by nytrainsgogo

I just found out that in 2006 for the US golf opens at winged foot, they ran SLE to mammaroneck! Does anyone have pictures because that must of been quite a spectacle.
  by Otto Vondrak

nytrainsgogo wrote:I just found out that in 2006 for the US golf opens at winged foot, they ran SLE to mammaroneck! Does anyone have pictures because that must of been quite a spectacle.
Have you searched online? Many photos were posted...
  by nytrainsgogo

Otto Vondrak wrote:
nytrainsgogo wrote:I just found out that in 2006 for the US golf opens at winged foot, they ran SLE to mammaroneck! Does anyone have pictures because that must of been quite a spectacle.
Have you searched online? Many photos were posted...
I did but nothing was to be found. oh well I can imagine it.