• Southern Tier - East of Binghamton

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by pumpers

Yahoo NYSW groups are all reporting that a NS 13T will be running down the tier and then NYSW to NJ tonight because of crew shortage (not clear where). And one report says it running 12T/13T regularly on the tier is being discussed. Maybe they had a falling out with the R&N! I doubt anyone wants to bet good money on 2 daily freights on the tier, but I bet lots are willing to offer an opinion. JS
  by K4Pacific

I have no report on that. But hey great. Can someone confirm CN cars on it? That's your telltale sign.
  by malfunctjct

2 day old 13t. CP is in the middle of a meltdown so it seems. NS is short crews since every train that runs over the CP has to be recrewed....
  by waldwickrailfan

if anyone knows when or if this will leave, please post. i would get up in the middle of the night to catch this..really. whenever it passes by someone, please post on either NYSW yahoo group or this topic.
  by conrailsharedassets

Hi Everyone,

Although I have heard nothing about a 13T detour, It would not suprise me in the least bit. CP is indeed in an ALL OUT MELTDOWN right now. They have a late season MOW Blitz going on with extensive tie, rail, crossing and surfacing work going on from Binghamton South! This is causing curfewed operations during the week and even on the weekend. Mix this with the fact that the CP was shut down for almost a week due to flooding (with the subsequent tonnage backup), things are a real nightmare. As of right now there is trains (Both NS and CP) littered all over the place on the D&H crewless. CP's East Binghamton Yard is also severely backed up and having HUGE problems handling the massive amounts of traffic. NS is still in the process of trying to recover from tonnage backups and getting previously detoured trains back on their usual routing and schedules.

As for the 12/13T trains becoming regulars on the Southern Tier I say thats certainly a possiblity, but who knows! I have been told that NS wants to add a pair of PANYNJ to Buffalo Stack trains on the current 12/13T routing via Allentown/Lehighton on RBMN and Dupont/Binghamton on the CP. If this were to happen, the CP Sunbury Sub (which is already border line congested with more traffic increases expected) wont be able to handle both 12/13T and an additional pair of NS intermodals on that routing. So I would say 12/13T heading over to the tier would be a pretty logical thing to do! Time will tell of course!

Jim Cerulli
cprsunburysub yahoo group Owner
  by Matt Langworthy

As I understand things, 12T/13T include traffic for several shortlines in NJ. Running them over the Tier would bypass those shortlines and NS would then have to figure out a new routing to service the shortlines... so I'm not convinced 12T/13T will run on the Tier east of Binghamton. Running the stack trains on the east end of the Tier seems more logical IMO because A. they don't have any intermediary stops and B. would avoid potential bottlenecks on CP or R&N. Regardless of which trains actually get put on the east end of the Tier, it will be nice to see a revival on that line.
  by K4Pacific

I went to the source. So I hope to have an answer when they choose to get it to us. They are running nuts and tired. 12 on 12 off right back out. Grueling right now. Change is the only constant.
  by pumpers

NS 30T to come down ST/NYSW today in daylight being reported.

What did they do with the 13T finally when it arrived in NJ early this AM (I am assuming it did, anyway - it was reported at Hudson Junction by Cambell Hall around 1:45 AM)?
JS
  by blockline4180

Matt Langworthy wrote:As I understand things, 12T/13T include traffic for several shortlines in NJ. Running them over the Tier would bypass those shortlines and NS would then have to figure out a new routing to service the shortlines... .

Correct, but what really strikes me as interesting with this routing is that I do recall the H65 and H74 were a few of the local trains that would get cars in Allentown off the 13T... These are locals out of Allentown that supply cars for the M&E, the Washington Secondary and the BR&W, to name a few..... There may be more, but you are right in that this routing would not make sense, especially for the Washington Secondary/Morristown & Erie traffic if it bypasses all this stuff by going east on the Tier and then west on the Lehigh Line.

I guess time will tell!
  by Steve F45

13t came down the nysw and was interchanged with NS at CP-Marion in Jersey City earlier today and 30T was to come east today also. Crew was called for 10am, not sure if it has left or if it did, what time it left.
  by Steve F45

30T to leave binghamton later on in afternoon. On the brightside, its been reported a NJT crew has been called to take 2 engines and a cabcar to be picked up by NYSW to then be taken to Port Jervis! On duty time is 550pm today.
  by K4Pacific

Here's all I can give you:

From NS Union head in Binghamton, "They did run a 13T and a 30T down the Delaware last nite and may run a few more...the CP is just so screwed up right now. Its basically a 25mph line from Sunbury to Hop Bottom....don't know how long this will go on tho." Opps, didn't look far enough. Also from Mark, "They are making the Allentown and Harrisburg pools general pools now, taking away the rest days/assigned day to work...punishment I suppose." Where would I post this?
  by K4Pacific

As NS crews get qualified, this will be touch and go. An update, this looks to be a more permanent thing to appease big money JB Hunt. Clear the junk for JB. Perhaps malfunctionjct can put more teeth into this than what my boys say.
  by Matt Langworthy

Wow... I guess I learn something new every day! 13T and 30T running on the east end of the Tier is great news indeed. Will the east end revival become permanent?
  by conrailsharedassets

Ok so I just want to get things straight here. Is this traffic that is currently getting detoured over the NYS&W (Tier East) in order to qualify NS crews that will be running permanent train movements over the route? I can fully understand running 12/13T on this routing, in fact this is much more direct and logical routing for most of the trains tonnage. However I'm not understanding the routing of 30T on this route! Thats an easy 150 mile detour over the trains usual mileage and routing down the D&H and Buffalo Line to Enola. It seems like a VERY roundabout way to access Enola! Unless NS moves the orginination/termination points of 30T/31T, I can't see this move becoming a regular event. But who knows!

Finally if I'm reading into this correctly, these trains have been/ will be pulled from the D&H routing in order to make room for the new Intermodal trains that are to start running from the South or no?

This whole situation came about rather suddenly and quite frankly has caught me quite of guard and confused!

Jim Cerulli
cprsunburysub yahoo group Owner