• Southern Tier - East of Binghamton

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by carld

I know this is my first post and will be viewed with skepticism. I have heard that NS is looking to run Buffalo to Allentown trains via New Jersey instead of the current route. Two reasons given are the Reading Blue Mountain & Northern's stick rail is preventing NS from running the larger trains it wants to run from Buffalo to Allentown and the RBMN is raising the tonnage rates it charges NS to run over it's tracks and number crunching showed it may be cheaper to run Buffalo/Allentown trains thru New Jersey to get to Allentown.
  by cr9615

carld wrote: Two reasons given are the Reading Blue Mountain & Northern's stick rail is preventing NS from running the larger trains it wants to run from Buffalo to Allentown
The line is now entirely or mostly CWR. They did major upgrades last year which have made the trackage in much better shape than it has been in the past.
  by nysw136

The train size restriction is limited on tonnage due to the grades and curves on the line from what I've been told by actual crews.
  by waldwickrailfan

CSX Detours this weekend, 3 Stack trains. First made it on the NYSW at 1am this morning, second train currently at Narrowsburg, 3rd still on CSX out of Syracuse
  by K4Pacific

Susquehanna Chapter NRHS Special June meeting June 13
Location: NYS&W, Northern Division HQ, 212 Chenango St., Binghamton, NY 13902
Special Time: 7pm (arrival can start at 6pm)
Program: Hosted by Joe White, Northern Division GM, Tour of facility of former D&H Freighthouse, overview of current operations and future plans, open slide and power point program with displays. Bring a friend or two. Be respectful like mama taught.
  by SecaucusJunction

There is much talk on the Sunbury Line yahoo group of CP abandoning Allentown operations and NS no longer using the upper Lehigh Line. If either or both of those come to fruition, I would suspect that could bode well for the eastern half of the line in the long run. We shall see....
  by Autoblock

NS is doing signal upgrades from M&H Junction down shortening a few of the blocks I don't see them giving that up unless maybe they were talking further north than that.... guess anything is possible!
  by blockline4180

SecaucusJunction wrote:There is much talk on the Sunbury Line yahoo group of CP abandoning Allentown operations and NS no longer using the upper Lehigh Line. If either or both of those come to fruition, I would suspect that could bode well for the eastern half of the line in the long run. We shall see....
Who did you hear this from??? Was it an NS Executive with actual reliable info, or just the run of the mill railfan rumors that always seem to circulate around here a few times each year!!!!???
  by SecaucusJunction

Since you're on the group, I'm sure you've seen where the information is coming from. Take it for what it's worth but most of the CP consolidation rumors have come true in the past.
  by northjerseybuff

CSX had a derailment this morning. Too bad NS doesn't have a crew base for detour moves in case of derailments. NYSW can barely handle 2 extra trains. Not good.
NS Lehigh Line will see some detours as well I'm sure.
  by Steve F45

K4Pacific wrote:Susquehanna Chapter NRHS Special June meeting June 13
Location: NYS&W, Northern Division HQ, 212 Chenango St., Binghamton, NY 13902
Special Time: 7pm (arrival can start at 6pm)
Program: Hosted by Joe White, Northern Division GM, Tour of facility of former D&H Freighthouse, overview of current operations and future plans, open slide and power point program with displays. Bring a friend or two. Be respectful like mama taught.
did you go to this? care to share what the future holds for nysw?
  by AlliedSignal3674

Looks like the 'superstackers' and wide-cabs are back (on the "Q").
  by SecaucusJunction

Unfortunately only when CSX dumps a train or does major track work on the Mohawk. Those detours are over now until another train goes into a ditch...
  by Autoblock

Lmao! Yeah and unfortunately it was an NYS@W that went in the ditch this time!!!!!