• SOLID COLD reefer in buffalo?

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

by scharnhorst

They pop up from time to time seen a few of them about 5 or 10 years ago. I think they were partley owned by Fruit Growers Express and could be seen with FMGR, C&O, B&O, SCL, and ACL reporting marks. The company is owned by CSX you can read up on this at the link below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fruit_Growers_Express
  by Otto Vondrak

Was it my imagination, or did some of these reefers say "SOLID GOLD" - probably a reference to the TV show. Don't know if this was intentional or grafitti...
  by Milwaukee_F40C

I don't know much about FGE cars but I find them interesting and I have been looking for information on them for model railroad purposes. The mechanical refrigerated cars mainly had the SOLID COLD slogan but some of them said REAL COLD or THE CHILLER. They also had a group of non-refrigerated insulated boxcars that were painted yellow with the SOLID GOLD slogan. I don't know of any other variations. The cars were also popular targets for graffiti writers and a film has been made of this: www.railsidefilmsonline.com
  by scharnhorst

Otto Vondrak wrote:Was it my imagination, or did some of these reefers say "SOLID GOLD" - probably a reference to the TV show. Don't know if this was intentional or grafitti...
Yes otto you are correct some of these cars seaid "SOLID GOLD" these were 50' nonrefergerated plug door cars owned by FGE and they could be seen in two diffrent colors which were yellow cars with black lettering or they could also be seen in an Orange Color with Black lettering.
FGE also owned or had a fleet of 57' Reefers which seaid "SOLID COLD" and with "REAL COLD" on them these cars were ofton a cream color with Black or blue lettering.

FGE standered Plug door Box Car with CSX reporting marks
http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/misc-frt/ ... 364amg.jpg
FGE REEFER Car with "REAL COLD" Slogon
http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/misc-frt/fgmr3396amh.jpg
FGE REEFER Car with "SOLID COLD" slogon
http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/misc-f/fgmr12231ags.jpg
  by FCP503

The top picture is an insulated boxcar. The second and third pictures are mechanical reefers. The screen on the end is where the radiator for the compressor drive engine is located.
  by scharnhorst

FCP503 wrote:The top picture is an insulated boxcar. The second and third pictures are mechanical reefers. The screen on the end is where the radiator for the compressor drive engine is located.
A Standard Insulated FGE car is so well insulated that they could keep pre-cooled products close to the temp in which they were cooled to plus or minus a few degrees while in transit. Reefers can keep there products as a even temp but need to have there fuel tanks checked every so ofton I think there good for a few days?? 2 or 3 maybe before refueling??
  by NV290

scharnhorst wrote: Reefers can keep there products as a even temp but need to have there fuel tanks checked every so ofton I think there good for a few days?? 2 or 3 maybe before refueling??
I heard it was about 5 days. Not sure though. I know it's more then 3 though. Because i know they run cross country without refueling.
  by scharnhorst

NV290 wrote:
scharnhorst wrote: Reefers can keep there products as a even temp but need to have there fuel tanks checked every so ofton I think there good for a few days?? 2 or 3 maybe before refueling??
I heard it was about 5 days. Not sure though. I know it's more then 3 though. Because i know they run cross country without refueling.
It could be possible that the older 57' reefers need to be checked out ofton I'm not sure but I think they have 1,500 gallon fuel tank??. I would assume that the newer reefers in the 60'-75' range are more than likely monitored 24/7 by someone watching them with a computer and a satellite feed if most of these units are anything like whats on a semi truck then they should be able to automatically go between idle and full power every other hour or two??