Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Nicholas Chen

Babylon, Ronkonkoma, and Port Jeff branches are running trains making local stops, then expressing them once they are filled. The Oyster Bay branches is also running. Service east of Speonk on the Montauk and on the Port Washington, Far Rockaway, Hempstead, Long Beach and West Hempstead Branches is suspended. Service to Atlantic Terminal is also suspended, tickets are being cross honored on the 2 and 3 from Penn.

More info: http://www.mta.info/news-blizzard/2016/01/24/approximately-80-lirr-customers-can-use-rail-service-tomorrow
  by Commuter X

Different storm ... Same communication problems

Can't get a straight answer when service will be restored -- 5:00 AM, 7:00 AM, still suspended ....?
  by Kelly&Kelly

Most of the operation will be back between 1 and 3 pm. It will return gradually. There is an internal schedule for restoring service on each branch, but it's not released to the public for fear that unforeseen setbacks would leave riders stranded at stations or that full ridership would turn out when full service is not yet established. Elected officials have the schedule and you can call their office. Most will share it with constituents. But beware because change is inevitable.

This is what happens when the governor orders operation suspended and tells employees to stay home. You voted for him, right?
  by Commuter X

The MTA needs to get their story straight and not make predictions which it knows are false

However, I am working from home today, so I do not have it as bad as others

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2016/01/24/ ... railroads/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by Kelly&Kelly

The MTA and its Incident Command public relations firm are too out of touch with the actual operation to know their predictions are false.
  by Commuter X

Kelly&Kelly wrote:The MTA and its Incident Command public relations firm are too out of touch with the actual operation to know their predictions are false.
That is reassuring to know. Must be thousands of people who relied on this "incorrect" information today and are not happy
  by inthebag

I was bewildered when I heard the announcement of a 5am reopening without any kind of "severe limited service" language. Why give the passengers such false expectations and leave them out in the cold like this?
  by Commuter X

inthebag wrote:I was bewildered when I heard the announcement of a 5am reopening without any kind of "severe limited service" language. Why give the passengers such false expectations and leave them out in the cold like this?
And the employees wonder why commuters have such a negative view of the railroad ....
  by inthebag

Commuter X wrote:
inthebag wrote:I was bewildered when I heard the announcement of a 5am reopening without any kind of "severe limited service" language. Why give the passengers such false expectations and leave them out in the cold like this?
And the employees wonder why commuters have such a negative view of the railroad ....
There's nothing to wonder. The railroad made promises that it knew it couldn't keep and they predictably failed this morning. I would be furious too if I didn't know any better.
  by Jo24Sam

While I get that it was a lot of snow, I don't understand how so much is completely out of service (with no real updates on details) over 30 hours after the last flake fell - on a weekend no less. Even a very limited diesel shuttle on the effected branches would have been tolerable by now. MTA.info was also a complete mess yesterday with inaccurate, and infrequent, vague delay data on NYC transit. End rant.
  by Kelly&Kelly

To those who real wish an explanation rather than just a forum for commuter complaints, I'll attempt to shed some light:

Suspending all operations in freezing weather virtually guarantees delays of 48 hours in returning service. That is why railroads administrated by professionals never do this. That is why the LIRR, before it was operated by political appointees always kept trains running and kept manpower on the job. When the governor ordered a "travel ban," it was necessary to close operations and send home employees. Nothing was maintained. Nothing was de-iced. Nothing was inspected.

Mobilization is a slow process. Employees sent home get snowed in. They develop other issues at home. They return to work slowly as public transportation is not running and roads are impassable. This takes many, many hours. Gas switch heaters have blown out. Kerosene heaters have long run dry. Equipment has missed its daily inspections. Crews are not in locations nor is equipment. Public platforms and sidewalks have not been cleared of snow and are covered with ice.

What would have been an ongoing battle with the elements by an established army of workers has become a cleanup operation as employees trickle back to work. This requires much more expense, manpower and time.

Past administrations had learned the impossibility of restarting operations during a rush hour. When 300,000 people show up on platform to get on "limited trains," the scene can't be pretty. It's just plain stupid to tell people to show up for a rush hour when service is limited. But there's a new President, new assistants, new advisors and a new public relations department that never did this before. The governor's office is calling the shots, and this governor doesn't ask for or listen to advice.

The MTA's communications channels with the public is a classic bureaucratic pork barrel. Nearly every communication must be funneled through the MTA, the Governor's office and through an outside private public relations press agency. Every office is manned with political appointees with experience in neither railroading nor public relations. Ever notice that the "LIRR Spokespersons" presented on the news change every two years? They are Democratic Committeemens' sons and daughters, politicians' nee-do-well cousins and nephews and kids, displaced Sanitation Department appointees. They don't know north from south, diesels from cantaloupes.

Want better? Make better choices on Election Day and demand better from those you elect. This isn't an operations problem, it's a political one.
  by KT3

Setting aside the litany of excuses, it's worth pointing out that the MTA's and LIRR's public relations team and spokespeople are anything but political appointees, cousins or politicians, or neophytes, as suggested in the previous post. In fact, the MTA's current chief spokesman and head of PR, Adam Lisberg, is a seasoned journalist in the NY area and has been with the MTA for more than three years. He's quite qualified and considered one of the top PR professionals for a public agency or organization in the country. Check out his LinkedIn profile for more on his credentials: https://www.linkedin.com/in/adam-lisberg-071a42b9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by Kelly&Kelly

Great.

The 300,000 people waiting for trains that never came this morning were lied to by "...a seasoned journalist in the NY area". They'll understand.

Most folks would rather hear from someone who knows a bit about railroad operations than spinning the truth. Come to think of it, how much respect do seasoned journalists get today? Ever wonder why?
  by DogBert

Adam Lisberg is but a cog in a large wheel - a wheel with political appointees. I ding him no more than I would ding a conductor or operator for this mess.

For a mess like this, you start at the top, and that is Cuomo. He's one of those 'make it happen or there will be hell to pay' type of managers who doesn't understand reality at all.

Kelly&Kelly, spot on sir.
  by Commuter X

Where is Mr. Nowakowski in this mess?
He is a career railroad professional and should be visible to the public to fix this clusterf**K