Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by ericware

Does anyone know when the Port Authority will implement the SmartLink they have been promising for years?

by ascotell

They told me sometime this year??

by Allan

I am getting the impression that the SmartLink project is not coming along well at all. I wrote to PATH asking about it (last week) and was told that it would be rolled out ot the general riding public towards the end of this year.

I don't know if the person who responded to me was working with announcements from 2006 or things are just really in bad shape.

Originally the project was supposed to start with Senior Citizens who are on the half-fare program would get theirs first. That was supposed to happen beginning in August 2006. The latest word on their website (and newsletter - PATHWAYS) is that that phase would happen starting in October 2006 with the rest of the project rolled out n the 1st Q of 2007. I don't think it happened/is happening.

I really wonder if PATH has any faith in the SmartLink. If you look at other agencies that either just introduced the smartcards (MBTA, MARTA) or are working up to it (PATCO) you will see on their websites that they made or are making a big showing of it. With PATH - barely a mention and then the link on the page is not prominent.
Last edited by Allan on Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by ascotell

I am on the PATH advisory committee for Febuary. I will find out on the 7th and post back.

by arrow

I don't know why it's not available to the public yet, but it does work right now.

by Allan

arrow wrote:I don't know why it's not available to the public yet, but it does work right now.
The question is - While it may work with a handful of people right now will it work in constant use, say during a rush hour with everyone having the card.

There has to be something wrong somewhere because one of themain reasons they gave it to the Senior Citzens first is so that PATH can remove the cash acceptors at the turnstiles (these are the ones that accept the reduced fare cards so that Senior Citzens can put in $1.00). So far there doesn't seem to be a rush on their part to remove them.

I know one question I will have for PATH once the Smart Link goes live (I am being optimistic). Some stations have only 1 MVM (no room for more). It has been noticed that on many an occasion the machines will not accept bills. If a passenger wants to buy a single ride or pay for a MetroCard (or even fill an empty SmartLink card) and wants to pay with CASH but doesn't have enough change, what are they supposed to do? Jump the turnstile?

A couple of weeks ago all 4 MVMs at 33rd St (at the 32nd St end) would nto accept bills. This was a Monday morning at about 7:20 AM. The same morning at Pavonia/Newport 2 of the 3 MVMs had the same message.

If PATH really expects to do away with those turnstile cash acceptors they are going to have to review thier current schedule on MVM servicing.

by ascotell

I attend the Path advisor's Committee meeting last night. They stated that they just are now sending out the senior cards. They will be finished in about 4 weeks. US on the committee are trying to get them and test them for Path. They said that their date to release it is around June.

by Allan

They are just NOW sending out the senior cards???? So much for the Ocotber 2006 as they have on their web site (and the August 2006 when it was supposed to start).

I have doubts that the main roll-out will be in June.

Thanks for the update.

by ascotell

They stated that they had alot of issues with the software. They were saying that it was open source software and everytime they went to fix soemthing something else would mess up

by devbeep2

open source doesn't necessarily mean crappy...

i love going to the grove street station every day and seeing between 1/3 and 1/2 of the turnstiles displaying "SmartLink ONLY". yeah, thanks. let me wander around the mez looking for one i can use as the train is pulling in...