• SIRR container traffic to NJ to start this month....

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by blockline4180

Greetings from Baltimore! :-D

While railfanning in St. Dennis, MD last night (CSX Capital Sub) we caught a Q406 with about 30-40 orange garbage containers in the mix. This train connects with the Q300 in Philly so I'm assuming these orange cars are heading towards Staten Island..!

by nick11a

blockline4180 wrote:Greetings from Baltimore! :-D!
Baltimore. Ughh. But thanks for the update on the trash cars. I can't catch the train, but good to know things may be on the move.

by SIRR4207

New York Container Terminal has been running its locomotive between arlington yard and the intermodal terminal. June 25th is the start date I was told for intermodal operation.

by SIRR4207

I took some shots today of New York Container Terminal Locomotive 2109 moving around arlington yard.

by nick11a

Well, the stage is set, the orchestra engaged, let's see if they can dance.

by SIRR4207

Drove past arliington yard this morning and NYCT had about 3 stack cars attached to there train. I believe it is for training but atleast it looks like we may be on schedule this time around.
  by MarkRouters

From todays NY Post

S.I.'S RAIL POLLUTION SOLUTION

By CHUCK BENNETT

June 18, 2007 -- More than 650 trips a week by diesel-spewing trucks will be eliminated on Staten Island when a new freight railroad goes into service next week.

The first freight train in nearly two decades is scheduled to haul its shipment of goods from the New York Container Terminal next week along the refurbished Staten Island Rail Road.

"Every container on the train is that many trucks off the road," said Jim Devine, president of the New York Container Terminal in Howland Hook.

"We'll have 650 less truck moves a week, and that's going to grow. Whether its wine coming out of Europe or footwear out of Asia, it will move by rail."

CSX Transportation will haul its first load on June 25. Another freight carrier, Norfolk Southern, is in talks with international shippers and is expected to launch service sometime this summer. Both companies declined to comment before the official announcement, which is expected next week.

"There will be more room on the expressway and tons and tons less of pollution," said Staten Island Borough President James Molinaro. "This is a win-win for everybody."

by blockline4180

Norfolk Southern, is in talks with international shippers and is expected to launch service sometime this summer

I wonder if this will lead to a new, dedicated intermodel train by NS. If not, I'm sure over time the container traffic will increase where the need will arise for new dedicated trains!

Wonderful news nontheless! :-D

by wolfboy8171981

blockline4180 wrote:
Norfolk Southern, is in talks with international shippers and is expected to launch service sometime this summer

I wonder if this will lead to a new, dedicated intermodel train by NS. If not, I'm sure over time the container traffic will increase where the need will arise for new dedicated trains!

Wonderful news nontheless! :-D
I'm hearing that almost all the traffic will be CSX. Current plans will be to add a Staten Island block on Q112 and extend the train to terminate in Staten Island. The outbounds will be the headend of Q159.

With both these trains already nearly 10,000 feet, If the traffic grows like they say it will, look for another CSX train to serve the Port.

by blockline4180

Well then why does the article state NS will get in on the traffic?? Maybe it is false or maybe they will just try to steal it! :P

by Sir Ray

blockline4180 wrote:Well then why does the article state NS will get in on the traffic?? Maybe it is false or maybe they will just try to steal it! :P
The article says a lot of things, including "The first freight train in nearly two decades is scheduled to haul its shipment of goods from the New York Container Terminal next week along the refurbished Staten Island Rail Road."
Since the trash train has been moving along for, what, 2 months already, perhaps the reporter didn't do a super-thourogh job of investigative reporting - it is from the NY Post, after all.

by Wanderer

wolfboy8171981 wrote:With both these trains already nearly 10,000 feet, If the traffic grows like they say it will, look for another CSX train to serve the Port.
I see two options. They can either add a new train (1 EB/1WB) to the operating plan, or begin running a regularly scheduled second sections of both Q112 and Q159.

Either way, your right Wolf. If the market explodes as projected, there is no way to maintain the current operating plan. Even on a bad night now, their hitting the Water Level Route with anywhere from 30-40 cars (100-150 buckets) on those trains. Their already pushing the limits on the WLR restriction on intermodal trains; 12,000 tons or 14,000ft...which ever is reached first...usually the tonnage.

And keep in mind...you think their bad when their in Jersey?? You out to see them in Syracuse!

Side note: The rest of the Albany Division is 9,000 tons or 10,000ft. (CSXT Equipment Handling Rules...#4402)
blockline4180 wrote:Well then why does the article state NS will get in on the traffic?? Maybe it is false or maybe they will just try to steal it! :P
That shouldn't be much of a challenge... :P

by blockline4180

That shouldn't be much of a challenge...

True, true :P

by rcbsd45

The Wobbler does make a point. He should recall that CSX started the traffic from PNCT(adjacent to the Dockside terminal at Port newark, NJ) as a yard job, Y223 a few years ago, and when the traffic increased, it developed into its own trains, the Q163/Q162. So the potential is there. Whether or not it takes place is something else.
And as he is someone who is NOT an employee, I find it interesting(as others may) that he is quoting an employee publication that is NOT for the general public, and therefore he has no business of being in posession thereof. His citation of the specific publication is a deliberate divulging of company business/affairs, a violation of a CSX general rule. of course, as a "civilian", he is not governed by railroad policies as are employees. Been there, done that, and I know he'll probably say a specific employee gave him the publication(he tried this tactic once before, and without success) so as to save his own hide and go after others. Desperate people do desperate things.
Wobbler should stick to his armchair quarterbacking, and not tip his hand by quoting company documents verbatim(as he has done in the past) that as a non employee he has no business posessing or disseminating publicly. He really ought to learn to cover his tracks better.
I shall now don my flame retardant/Wanderer resistant suit. If he has a gripe, take it off the board; I've said my piece.

by Wanderer

rcbsd45 wrote:The Wobbler does make a point. He should recall that CSX started the traffic from PNCT(adjacent to the Dockside terminal at Port newark, NJ) as a yard job, Y223 a few years ago, and when the traffic increased, it developed into its own trains, the Q163/Q162. So the potential is there. Whether or not it takes place is something else.
And as he is someone who is NOT an employee, I find it interesting(as others may) that he is quoting an employee publication that is NOT for the general public, and therefore he has no business of being in posession thereof. His citation of the specific publication is a deliberate divulging of company business/affairs, a violation of a CSX general rule. of course, as a "civilian", he is not governed by railroad policies as are employees. Been there, done that, and I know he'll probably say a specific employee gave him the publication(he tried this tactic once before, and without success) so as to save his own hide and go after others. Desperate people do desperate things.
Wobbler should stick to his armchair quarterbacking, and not tip his hand by quoting company documents verbatim(as he has done in the past) that as a non employee he has no business posessing or disseminating publicly. He really ought to learn to cover his tracks better.
I shall now don my flame retardant/Wanderer resistant suit. If he has a gripe, take it off the board; I've said my piece.
No gripe or flame. I'm just suprised you took the time to flame me. Besides...I know your just trying to "rattle my cage".

Also you made a poor assumption. I honestly don't possess a copy of the CSXT Train Handling Rules. Unfortunately, I haven't been lucky enough to come across a copy at any shows yet, darn it. I've been educated on bits and pieces of it through various conversations with some great, kind people who deal with it every day.

The reality of this instance however, I know that specific instruction in completion because it was mentioned on another forum here on railroad.net by an employee. That, however, would be between him and his superiors. I just merely experienced the enjoyment of reading it and learning something new.

Personally, I would think it would be a good thing for a railfan to want to learn more about specifics, rules, and the way things work instead of being just another dumb, ignorant buff. Knowledge is power you know.

So again, no flame here.

Peace to you...