• single steel rail width?

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

by anthonytc22

i am looking for the width of a *single* standard United States rail. Track width is all over the internet, but darned if I can't find the single steel rail width.

by GOLDEN-ARM

Every single stick of rail will have different dimensions, in height, base width, head width, web thickness and head height. It depends on the size of the rail, with the sizes ranging from 60# to 155# being common in the US today. Give up a size, and I'll relay what the rail chart I have says......

by anthonytc22

I never knew there was so much to the individual rail design!

After doing some research I found the most "common" type of track (freight, passenger rail, etc) is called Vignole Rail or "T-Rail". A large North American manufacturer is Wirth Rail, and I stumbled across their sizing chart:
http://www.wirthrail.com/en/product_tee.htm

It appears the average Head width is *about* 2.5 - 3 inches. Golden Arm you are correct, there is a LOT of variation depending on the given size of the rail.

by GOLDEN-ARM

Your link shows a good sampling of "T" rails, which is the most commonly used rail, here in the US. (mine is a handheld card, from a rail company)The sizes shown, ie: 136# is the rails weight, by the yard, so a piece of rail marked 100RA would weigh 100 pounds, per yard. The "average" length of stick rail, would be either 30' or 33', depending on the mill that rolled it. Rail is made in continuous ribbons, then cut to length. Available in more "modern" times, are the 1/4 mile long "ribbon rails", for ease in installation, and welding, when making your railroad a "welded rail" type operation. I've personally seen rail as small as 20#, in mine operations, and as large as 155#, as was tested on the NEC. IIRC, the 155# rail "collapsed" in the web section, under the strain of the vertical/lateral forces imparted into it, in a test curve section of the railroad....... :(