• Silverliner Vs Out of Service - Schedule/Service Discussion

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by STrRedWolf

Cynwyd Line is already subsituted by buses.

What other lines could you see partially replaced by buses? The ridership numbers need to be low enough to justify it. Take MARC's Brunswick line for example. The last train to Martinsburg, VA from DC saw light usage until the schedules were re-worked, about 30 or so people. Not enough to justify a three car set to go to Martinsburg then back to Brunswick for the night, but enough for a bus to wait for the train and take 'em to the remaining stations.
  by NeedhamLine

New to the forums here, but this is an interesting find: http://ntl.bts.gov/lib/42000/42600/42679/ord9601.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

See page A1-26. Back in the 80s, MBB (a German aerospace company with no history of building railcars in the US) built a group of single-level cab cars and trailers for the MBTA. As with the Silverliner Vs, they used the GSI Series 70 inside frame truck (albeit unpowered in this case). And, despite the MBTA reporting generally good experience with the trucks, the report notes "three incidents of cracked equalizer bars on MBB cars which resulted from a bad welding practice."

Foreign manufacturer with no US experience... GSI Series 70 trucks... cracked equalizer bars likely due to bad welding. Sounds familiar!
  by R3 Passenger

Spro wrote:Finding rail assets to use will not get them though this, they should be looking for buses and pick a line and do busatitution on a line or two and use the railcars they have on the longer/busier lines elsewhere.
I agree--in part. I would expect that most intra-city stations have access to bus routes that allow connections to the MFL, BSL, or NHSL at a terminus of the route (FTC, 69th Street, Fern Rock, Olney, AT&T). For most stations in the suburbs, that is just not possible (with the exception of a few in the near-suburbs).

Even when a bus is offered, most suburbanites will refuse to take it. Case in point: Route 78 Shuttle during the Amtrak crash that shut down the Trenton line. Most riders shifted to the West Trenton line instead of taking the Route 78 bus to and from FTC. I took the bus and it was a pleasant but empty ride. I called SEPTA this morning to inquire about expanded Route 78 service, to which I was informed that there were no buses added to the route outside of its regular schedule. Not surprised at all. I could drive to FTC, but what would be the point if I need to drive through the construction zone and traffic on I-95 anyway?

It has already been established that most of these riders feel that riding a bus is degrading and would rather drive in. Bustituting an entire line into the suburbs would only add to traffic woes. However, bustituting intra-city stations by extending bus routes or eliminating peak service at these stations would be better for managing passenger load. Which sounds better: "We probably won't have room on the train when it comes to this station, so let's put it on the schedule anyway" or "We probably won't have room on this train by the time it gets to this point, so let's express it for a quick equipment turn to serve more people?"

Bustitute the intra-city stations at peak, and bustitute the Reading trunk to Fern Rock BSS.
  by jamesinclair

I think the quickest option would be to get charter buses running express service patterns from popular stations, and then sue the manufacturer to cover those expenses.

There is surplus equipment available, and those companies can react in days, unlike hypotheticals with NJTransit etc where you're dealing with 22 unions, 11 separate regulations, and 7 layers of politics. Remember, NJ Transit just ran out of transport money and Christie just declared that all road projects are over.

You want Academy/Coach/First Transit whatever to run a bus from x to y tomorrow? Cut the check and theyll be ready to go Monday at 5am.
  by Limited-Clear

Just because a person buys a trailpass instead of a transpass does not mean they are of a higher standard than the person with the latter, all these people choose to use PUBLIC transit, the issue lays with the individual who can not accept having to adjust (Septa gives the option, it's up to you to use it)

Many ideas have been put forth and some are just by people who want to blame septa for a problem they could never have seen coming (using the WCRR and the NHIR.....really be sensible), I'm sure Septa are trying to ease the pain being suffered by Passengers, crews, front line staff and the city that has to adjust to employees being inconvenienced, by organizing with other agencies a short term resolve (keep in mind there is money involved, not much spare laying around, agencies all over have record ridership and are using all available equipment, equipment that's idle probably isn't good for service even short term and requires money and inspections, not all equipment fits on the Septa system, then you need crews to be trained on whatever equipment is used, pilots usually have to operate the equipment they pilot)

Now I'm sure our resident armchair railroaders will tell us there is an easy fix, over to you guys
  by braves

Just read that SEPTA will ease locomotives and cars from MARC,NJ Transit and Amtrak.

Has anyone heard on how many cars and locomotives SEPTA will lease from MARC,NJ Transit and Amtrak and which equipment will be lease, for example, some Comet 2 cars from NJ Transit to SEPTA.
  by SubwayTim

As for Amtrak equipment...will SEPTA be leasing locomotives (what's still available of the AEM-7's), or coaches (Amfleet), or both???
  by JoeRailRoad

philipmartin wrote:
Code: Select all

JoeRailRoad wrote:
philipmartin wrote:Running NJT trains between Trenton and 30th Street was discussed prior to the Pope's visit to Philadelphia. I believe the laws setting up NJT preclude it.
It can be done if there were a crew change in Trenton Station, SEPTA crew taking over to PA and vice versa, just like the football train from Connecticut to New Jersey.

Joe
From "10 in Motion" http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/traffic/ ... 60501.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; we get: "NJ Transit spokesman Jim Smith said. "Under regulations, SEPTA crews are not qualified to operate NJ TRANSIT equipment." I wonder what regulations they are referring to; Union rules?
NJT Rail qualified Metro North crews to run the football trains so it can be done with SEPTA crews.

Joe
  by STrRedWolf

scotty269 wrote:Amtrak
2x ACS64
5x Amfleets

NJT
1x ALP-44
8x Comet cars

MARC
5x passenger cars

New schedule starts July 11th (Monday):
Trenton Line - removing 12 SL-IV and putting 1x NJT and 1x MARC consist (+300 seats)
Trenton/Cornwells/Levittown platforms are being extended with pavement
Warminster line - additional local service between Center City/Glenside (+1440 seats)
Paoli/Thorndale - 3x quick turns between Bryn Mawr using Amfleet equipment
Lansdale/Doylestown - Additional early AM train(s)
60 Car wrote:Interesting developments on the borrowed equipment front....

We already know the ACS64 will fit anywhere, and the ALP44 will have a sister to keep her company in the shop....

Will the Amfleets fit through the tunnel?
I don't expect height/width to be the problem, what about length? Are they longer than the Bombers?

I guess MARC has a surplus of single levels now?

Now I'll have to get the camera out.
Amfleets are 85' long, same as the MARC IIA's and the Silverliner IV's. The IIA's should work with the ACS64. In essence, three more trains.

I'm just surprised MARC had 5 IIA's to spare. They may have more as more MARC IV's come in service.
  by deandremouse

is it an ALP44 or 46? The 44s have been mothballed for some time i'd imagine it would take a bit of time and $$$ to get one up and running again
  by scotty269

deandremouse wrote:is it an ALP44 or 46? The 44s have been mothballed for some time i'd imagine it would take a bit of time and $$$ to get one up and running again
My bad - he did not specify 44 or 46. I assumed 44 due to SEPTA being familiar with it already. It could be either.
  by STrRedWolf

bikentransit wrote:How will SEPTA be qualifying crews to run foreign equipment by Monday?
I think they will not run SEPTA crews in those cars. The Amfleet and MARC equipment will be run by Amtrak crews, because they are qualified for it (MARC is qualified on the NEC). NJT equipment will run with NJT crews (also NEC qualified).

We won't know for sure until we see the schedules.
  by rslitman

Does it go without saying (except that I'm saying it now) that the borrowed equipment will only be run on the three lines shared with Amtrak?