• Silverliner II and III cars: How many are left?

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by ApproachMedium

Where is there a MP54? And why would they give up on the Pioneer 1?
  by Quinn

ExCon90 wrote:SEPTA has agreed to donate Reading 9001 to the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania, and the museum has agreed to accept it. Movement to the museum is expected sometime in October.
Great news.
Clearfield wrote:With the museum sending the Pioneer I's to scrap, its a good compromise.
I'm glad I saw it a few weeks ago. Why the scrap heap? They have the room (or, they appear to, especially when they build out the round house).
  by amtrakhogger

The Pioneer 3's are gutted and there are no parts to cosmetically restore them (i.e. missing pantographs, equipment boxes, etc.)
  by ApproachMedium

Equipment boxes can be fabricated, amtrak does it all the time. I am sure we can live without a pantograph, or use something thats close enough like the old silverliner II pans.
  by wagz

On that note, how complete is 9001 then? I'm sure all the electrical components and running gear are removed, but are the interior and pantograph still there?

I doubt the museum would have the money or manpower to do it, but seeing 9001 get polished up or even restored to her Reading appearance would be great. 9001 is a far cry from she looked like new: http://www.septa.org/events/pictures/silverliner2.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If anyone finds out the exact date and details of the move to Strasburg please let us know here.
  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: This is certainly good news - 1963 Budd Silverliner 9001 going to the
Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania. At this point at least one will be preserved...

I would like to see at least one of the 1967 St.Louis cars go in also due to their
rarity...Are there any interest in preserving any other Silverliner cars at this time?

I do understand why the RM of PA is giving up on restoring further the 1958 Budd
Pioneer cars that remain...They were modified by SEPTA RRD for a proposed
push-pull train that then was cancelled and the cars were retired...These cars
would need a substantial amount of work to restore them to their original
appearance such as replacing their original diamond pantographs as one
good example...I would like to have seen at least one of these rare cars preserved
but as AH mentions these cars have been gutted out internally and there probably
is not enough useable parts to even allow that to be worthwhile...

MACTRAXX
  by SubwayTim

I hope they will also consider preserving one Pennsy Silverliner II, especially #269, since it still had PENNSYLVANIA on the letterboards, and (I believe) the original seats.
  by R36 Combine Coach

269 was scrapped (see prior posts).
  by SEPTA2461

All that remains now is the burned out set in Overbrook yard. They pulled out the set from beside the shop building at Wayne Junction. Does that mean they'll start storing bomber sets there again?
  by aem7

By my count, along with the burned out MU, there are 16 scrapped cars still on the property.
  by SEPTA2461

The set at Overbrook got moved to Wayne J. It's a half Louie-half Budd set. They're now awaiting their fate beside the shed where their brothers before them have waited.
  by rslitman

Some time between Thursday late afternoon, Oct. 17 and Monday morning, Oct. 21, a group of these cars were moved to Woodbourne. They were still there Tuesday late afternoon, Oct. 22. Among the cars are 266 (camera car), 215, 268, and 9014. The numbers, prefixed by "SPAX", are marked on the side of each car.
  by rslitman

rslitman wrote:Some time between Thursday late afternoon, Oct. 17 and Monday morning, Oct. 21, a group of these cars were moved to Woodbourne. They were still there Tuesday late afternoon, Oct. 22. Among the cars are 266 (camera car), 215, 268, and 9014. The numbers, prefixed by "SPAX", are marked on the side of each car.
The other two are 252 and 209. So all of them are II's - one ex-Reading, the others ex-Pennsylvania Railroad.
  by glennk419

wagz wrote:On that note, how complete is 9001 then? I'm sure all the electrical components and running gear are removed, but are the interior and pantograph still there?
Other than parts that can be utilized on the SL-IV's, which probably isn't much, and possibly cab signal equipment and radios, what would they strip and why? I would think that anything they take off reduces weight and respective scrap value. Not criticizing, just curious?