• Signal System

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by WonderlandMan

Does anyone have any information on the Signal System the CR uses, just curious...Because I notice when there arent any trains close the signals dont light up, but when a train nears the lights go on and display the info

by Diverging Route

They're called "approach signals." It's designed to increase bulb life. When a train enters the block in advance of the signal (which is always well enough in advance so that the engineer never sees a dark signal), they illuminate. After the train passes the signal, they go dark (unless there is another train in the block).

The signals on the Lowell line at the Anderson/Woburn station had been approach signals for a few years, but as of about two weeks ago, they've reverted to full-time illumination. I asked a conductor about that, and he said that MBCR has been making such changes, but he didn't know why.

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

on the Amtrak mainline (Attleboro-Providence line) the signals are constantly illuminated due to the constant flow of traffic i guess

by doublebell

The newer signals are a LEDs so that bulb life and power consumption are not major issues,

John (the guy in the white car)

by CSX Conductor

I cannot recall the exact name for that type of signal system, but they are not called "Approach signals". The B&A on CSXT also has this type of signal system between CP-21 and the automatic signal @ MP 2 behind Fenway Park.

An "Approach" signal is a signal aspect which means to approach the next signal prepared to stop.

If the signal is not located at an interlocking, it would be referred to as a "Distant Signal".

by Rockingham Racer

How about "approach lit" as a term?