• Shuttle 490 vs Truck in Berlin, CT

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by DutchRailnut

4 people on train to hospital, one on tree trimming truck to Hospital, cab car was on fire with extensive damage.
  by Matt Johnson

Ouch, looks like that cab car may be done.
  by Jehochman

I was on Vermonter 55 southbound today (not the shuttle that derailed). They just offloaded everybody at Hartford and bussed them to New Haven. The people from 56 got bussed to Hartford and the train is going back North.

The single track at Berlin was damaged, I heard.

Word on board is that the engineer ducked and appeared to be ok. The cab cars are designed to crumple around the control station. There was a wood chipper on a trailer that got nailed. One of its tires dragged, caught fire and lit the cab.
  by 4400Washboard

F**k why a Metroliner??

I'd like to see a couple Amfleets smashed up

I wish the best of luck and condolences to those in the hospital and they families
  by kitn1mcc

yeah the Cab car is Toast
  by ApproachMedium

Screw those metroliner cab cars. I hope they crush them all after this incident. They are the most uncomfortable pieces of crap and they are not built to any level of modern safety standards. Believe it or not the amfleets were. The Amfleet II cars actually have the energy absorbing vestibules on either end.

I am sure we will be seeing this towed to Wilmington and then to Bear DE soon.
  by Matt Johnson

Hope the engineer is ok (and the other folks who were hospitalized as well of course).
  by Backshophoss

Figure on that cab car rotting at the boneyard at Wilmington for a few years untill the legal beagles give the OK
for repair/strip+scrap of the remains.
  by runningwithscalpels

I've seen photos of the inside of the operators compartment and a.) I understand why engineers HATE the things and b.) It's damn lucky the engineer survived.
  by 4400Washboard

runningwithscalpels wrote:I've seen photos of the inside of the operators compartment and a.) I understand why engineers HATE the things and b.) It's damn lucky the engineer survived.
And the photos are on the website... [fill in the blank]_________________________
  by DutchRailnut

uhh she did in no way indicate the pictures are on a website now did she ................
  by runningwithscalpels

Well I think Dutch summed it up for me!!