• Shooting at Pentagon station

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by HokieNav

As the Pentagon station remains closed through the morning rush, I curious at to what WMATA's long term reaction to this will be. While only tangentially related to metro rail, (the guy could have just easily taken a bus or walked up to the "first line" security at the Pentagon) I suspect that we'll be seeing more visible armed patrolling through the system.

I'm not sure if that's the right answer or not (both from a "does it increase security" and "is this the best use of WMATA's funds" perspectives) and would be interested in hearing what you guys thought.
  by SchuminWeb

I believe this probably falls under the category of "people who are truly determined will find a way to do it", and no amount of security theater will stop them.
  by justalurker66

Until hearing the 9/11 conspiracy theory side of the story I just filed this one as suicide by cop.
It is a shame that two officers were injured in this attack ... but I don't see where security needs to change.
Just watch for people who don't fit in who may want to copy cat - until the story dies down.

(I'm surprised that there are not more random acts of violence like this.)
  by Sand Box John

Form what I have read about this incident there are multiple layers of security one must pass through before one actually gets into the Pentagon. Mr. Bedell was taken out at the first layer.

"justalurker66"
(I'm surprised that there are not more random acts of violence like this.)

I got news for you justalurker66, there's a lot of angsts out there right now over the direction the present administration is taking this country. There has been others expect more in the future.