Railroad Forums 

• Shipping Export Steam Locomotives from the US

• Discussion of steam locomotives from all manufacturers and railroads
Discussion of steam locomotives from all manufacturers and railroads

Moderators: Typewriters, slide rules

#1638166  by RAILDATA

Hi All,

I have been working for years on a N American steam loco builders database. To give more life to individual locos other than the usual sold to, numbered, renumbered, rebuilt etc info I want to add more types of information. In the builders lists I have seen or created very little appears regarding shipping outside N America.

I know Baldwin had docks and assume ALCo did or had access to as well. Finding anything about shipping has been tough. Looking for info on what ship locos were on, when departed/arrived, etc. I suspect there are maritime records for some of this but not sure where to look or search terms. I am especially interested in the WWII era as I think there may be more of a chance of finding something. I found some arrival data on some S160 class USATC locos but that is about it.

I am also interested in their histories after arrival. There are some good online sites such as Martin Coombs works on South American roads that help. Are there any recommended sites where one might find roster histories that would include N American built exported locos? To go along with that info diagram and class books would be helpful but those are scarce even for domestic roads.

Thank you for any help and direction that can be given. I am always willing to help others with the information I have in my collection.

Blessings!

Allen Stanley