• Shamokin and Mt. Carmel Streetcar at Knoebels Amusement Park

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by EugeneV.Debs

Yesterday I visited Knoebels Park in Ellysburg. Ellysburg is relatively close to Shamokin, Shenandoah and Mahoney City. For all of you who don't know Knoebels, it is a rather large amusement park that has been around for about 80 years or more. Yesterday I was watching a guy demonstrating chainsaw sculpture at the "Lost Logger", which is near the Haunted House, and noticed something strange, the chainsaw artist's tool shed, which was partially obscured, looked like a trolley. So I walked up to the shed and found to my disbelief that it was a trolley, a turn of the century, most-likely a J.G. Brill, semi-convertible trolley. I didn't have a camera so I remembered the details, 9 passenger windows, a destination sign window above the center head-light, etc., etc. Then I went to the Knoebel's museum and asked if anyone knew where the trolley was from and the reply I got was that they bought a trolley during the late thirties as a cottage and that there was a picture of it in the museum. The picture showed a car with the number 33 and the name "Toonerville". So I decided to post a question to this forum, but before hand I decided to see if I could find a picture of a similar car as I didn't think to buy a disposable camera to take a picture and instead I found a picture of the exact car:
http://www.davesrailpix.com/odds/pa/htm/sham15.htm
If anyone is wondering the car is in good condition as it is kept under cover and amongst other things it still has most of its original windows and at least after a superficial inspection its wood is in good shape.
So, does anyone think this car is worth preserving?
Sincerely,
Matt White