• SF30B

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

by tj48

What ever happened to Santa Fe's one and only SF30B?

by SSW9389

Santa Fe 6419 was renumbered to BNSF 4276. It appears to be for sale by BNSF at this time.
  by Bryanjones

tj48 wrote:What ever happened to Santa Fe's one and only SF30B?
this unit along with the entire BNSF B23-7 fleet was retired earlier this year and this unit is now for sale.

Bryan Jones
Brooks,KY

by uhaul

Now that you mentioned it I have not seen any BNSF B23-7 pictures recently. Looks like the July 21st retirement of UP 107 (the one with the EMD cab) ended the reign of the B23-7s on Class One railroads.

by Komachi

Say wha?

An EMD cab on a B23? Is that a "spartian" cab or a "safey" cab on that one? Just currious.

And why sell off that B-unit? I would think it would work coupled to another GP30 they have on the roster, or is it because there's no cab and therefore can't pull double-duty as a lead unit? Could they not put a cab on it if that were the case?

by SSW9389

What B unit are you talking about? The SF30B is a Santa Fe designation for a one of a kind rebuild of a U23B.
Komachi wrote:
And why sell off that B-unit?

by Komachi

U23B?

With the "30" designation, I would think that would be something cobbled out of a GP30.

But, yes, the SF30B is what I was referring to.
  by jz441

Bryanjones wrote:
this unit along with the entire BNSF B23-7 fleet was retired earlier this year and this unit is now for sale.
Why would they retire them? They were great for switching out the intermodal... I will sure miss them. I loved running these engines... :(
  by LCJ

jz441 wrote:I will sure miss them. I loved running these engines...
I'm not thinking that was one of the major criteria that were considered... :wink:

by uhaul

Looks like it got sold in July.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS

by conrail_engineer

Komachi wrote:Say wha?

An EMD cab on a B23? Is that a "spartian" cab or a "safey" cab on that one? Just currious.
I got curious myself.

A Google search gave me these photos:

Gone to locomotive heaven, apparently.

It seems unseemly...until you think about it. A cab is a cab is a cab; the only concerns are dimensions. I could see grafting a spare EMD cab onto a GE that has some damage...just as I could see parking a widebody off one of those throwaway SD60Ms onto an enduring SD40.

by Leo_Ames

The MP did this to quite a few of their GE's, I assume thats an ex Missouri Pacific unit.