• Service Pattern on Meadowlands Event Days

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by EuroStar

It appears to me that on days when there is an event scheduled at the Meadowlands, the on-time performance of the Main/Bergen/Pascack Valley/Port Jervis Lines takes a big hit because they single file all trains onto two tracks (E to Hoboken and F out of Hoboken). The platform for tracks G and H is used exclusively for the Meadowlands service. That seems as the correct call given that it would be impossible to ensure that game/concert goers don't get on the wrong train if they used only one track for the Meadowlands. This though rises two questions:
1. Was the issue of customer separation for game days not thought of when Secaucus was designed?
2. Short of spending money NJT does not have on something such as another platform either on track H or track E (in either case on the side that currently has no platform), is there anything that could be done operationally to improve the flow of trains and speed the boarding of the regular commuter trains? Running them single file is clearly not a good solution -- if it were they would not have had 4 tracks to begin with.
  by srock1028

EuroStar wrote: 1. Was the issue of customer separation for game days not thought of when Secaucus was designed?
2. Short of spending money NJT does not have on something such as another platform either on track H or track E (in either case on the side that currently has no platform), is there anything that could be done operationally to improve the flow of trains and speed the boarding of the regular commuter trains? Running them single file is clearly not a good solution -- if it were they would not have had 4 tracks to begin with.
1. I believe and may be wrong that Secaucus was designed way before the thought of running trains to the Meadowlands came to fruition. I know Secaucus was under construction in the late 1990's when Giants Stadium was still open and there was no plan of building a new stadium yet.
2. The only thing that can be done operationally to improve flow of trains and speed the boarding of the regular commuter trains would be to have NO Meadowlands service at all, and that will not happen. They are not going to send the trains into Hoboken to turn around because its too time consuming and Hoboken is almost at capacity at times. You are right, NJT doesnt have money or the land to add more tracks through Secaucus.
  by trainbrain

I believe all the Meadowlands trains used to go to Hoboken, but there wasn't a big demand to do that, so they used G and H to turn them at SEC.

Running all the normal trains on the lower level through E and F makes sense, but you have issues with platform crowding, and people almost getting on the wrong train. On weekends this isn't a huge issue, but I'm sure it is if there is an evening event and the Meadowlands trains need to run during rush hour.
  by Fan Railer

Weekday events @ the Meadowlands are fairly rare, IIRC, so the routing / slotting issue usually isn't a thing.
  by EuroStar

While not frequent, there are probably 10-15 weekday events an year to which NJTransit provides service -- typically concerts, pre-season games, certain exhibition games (soccer comes to mind). In fact there might be as many weekdays as weekends on which service is provided.

I do realize that even 30 weekdays with service would not justify much capital investment.
  by SecaucusJunction

Would be great if they just had a few trains make the turn and serve the PVL and Bergen Lines directly instead of trying to make some sort of connection at Secaucus to lines that don't run that frequently off peak.
  by andegold

Does anybody know the current plans for Meadowlands service for the rest of the summer and into the fall? I thought service was offered for all football games but I cannot find any mention of that anymore. I am going to the Jets game (yeah, I know) this Saturday and would prefer to take the train from NYP and not drive but the only information I can find on the NJT site is that they offered service last weekend for the Coldplay concerts. There was no information about any future events.
  by CentralValleyRail

jamesinclair wrote:If its not on here I dont think theyre offering it

http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet. ... ScheduleTo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They always have offered it for pre-season so I'm sure it will be offered. last season they announced it pretty late so this doesn't come as much of a surprise. (after all it's NJT)

I will be at the game too (yeah, I know) but I have field passes and let's be real as bad as the jets are field passes to any NFL event are cool. :-D
  by andegold

Thanks CVR. I found out I will be getting parking passes and I do have a vehicle available but I'd much rather take the train. I can wait until the last minute to make the decision but "that's no way to run a railroad". Thanks again.
  by SecaucusJunction

Transit can't even crew their normal trains right now. How are they ever going to find enough personnel to crew these extra trains.
  by CentralValleyRail

andegold wrote:Thanks CVR. I found out I will be getting parking passes and I do have a vehicle available but I'd much rather take the train. I can wait until the last minute to make the decision but "that's no way to run a railroad". Thanks again.

I know its late but the schedule is up for today's game..

http://www.njtransit.com/sa/sa_servlet. ... ntId=16278" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by andegold

Thanks for the update, I saw the full schedule yesterday and was about to post it myself. Even with free passes I think I will take the train tonight.
  by CentralValleyRail

andegold wrote: Re: Service Pattern on Meadowlands Event Days
andegold wrote:Thanks for the update, I saw the full schedule yesterday and was about to post it myself. Even with free passes I think I will take the train tonight.

How'd It go?

I walked by when leaving the Stadium at 11:30 or so and saw only 1 train left.
  by andegold

Made it to Penn right on time. Made it to Secaucus right on time. Then they cancelled the 6:29 train. 6:59 showed up early/on time and even though the earlier train was cancelled we were still able to get seats. I don't think anyone was standing (unlike the 6:10 or whatever Coast Line train from Penn to Secaucus with lots of standees).

We left the game at half time. First train out only had two or maybe three cars open. All in all a successful, but long, trip and definitely better than driving.

I still think the line should operate for all events as well as race nights and that it would work better as a more frequent shuttle using DMUs like the RIverLINE. I do understand that they're doing the prudent thing by offering cab fare for the race track (do they still do that?) but that doesn't mean I have to like it.