• Seniority Swap out of Tucson, AZ

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

by kdf540

I'm looking for anyone who might be interested in a seniority swap. I would like to relocate out of Arizona. Conductor seniority date is Aug 2004 and Engineer date is May 2009. Currently cut back to conductor and will probably be for awhile.

Thanks,
Keith
  by slchub

Talk to your LC about making the swap. As promoted engineer you'll find it to be extremely difficult for the carrier to release you out of your hub given said promotion. That was the reason why I left the UP for Amtrak, as I was "locked" into the Salt Lake City Hub as a promoted engineer.

Here is an e-mail from a gentleman with the BLET in the Southern GCA regarding my request for assistance in transferring from the SLC Hub to another Hub in the east:

Brother,

Please be aware that seniority swaps are extremely difficult to accomplish. I have been GC for 6 years and only accomplished one swap. That was done by a specific agreement addressing the engineers involved. It had to be ratified by both Divisions as well as all departments of UP (Service Unit, CMS, Labor Relations, etc). Any single entity in that process has veto power over the entire transaction (ie: if the respective superintendents don’t agree to the swap, it will not be done or if either Division does not agree it will not be done).

I am not trying to dash your hopes, just give you a realistic picture of what you are up against. Also UP has been extremely reluctant to transfer any engineers from one location to the other. I have had several requests but only accomplished one of those as well.

Good luck, you have some good men on your side with Brothers XXXXXXXX and XXXXXXX. They are both exceptional union men in my book but be aware you are climbing a steep hill.

Fraternally,

That e-mail was from 2006. Things may have changed. Good luck