• Sen Frank Lautenberg (D-NJ) Deceased

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Jtgshu

I think NJT is going to sorely miss Sen Lautenberg.....its no secret NJT has had quite the spending spree over the past 10-15 years with equipment purchases, and im sure he was a reason for that and getting some money here to buy the equipment. Did the gravy train just depart as well? Maybe.........

Too bad more of it wasn't for capital expansion, but ARC was a huge project, and while it didn't pan out, hopefully Gateway will and some of that money will be put to good use....

If you agree with his political record or not, you have to (or at least should) admire him as a person - a WWII vet, and a family man, as well as someone who never stopped working (even tho some say he should have). Pretty much up to the day he died, he was working and trying to get stuff passed and done.

Politicians are often scum, but are a necessary evil, and he seemed like he was one of the better ones at least.

RIP good sir and thank you for all your years of service to us!
  by Zeke

While he did bring the money in for Amtrak and NJ Transit [redacted].
  by Bobby S

Have known about his pushes for "pax rail" which I think is great... In regards to his funeral... In one article it shows and says his casket is being put into an Amtrak baggage car for transport to DC. The ironic thing I see here is the all important, powerful Senator is taking his final ride in an AMTRAK BAGGAGE CAR and not the 1st CLASS ACELA he has taken for years... Feel free to comment on that one!

Also a side question... Is this the 1st time an Amtrak train has stopped in Secaucus Junction? ( I want to point out NO PUN INTENDED as some here might consider him a pax pick-up)
  by Adirondacker

Bobby S wrote: The ironic thing I see here is the all important, powerful Senator is taking his final ride in an AMTRAK BAGGAGE CAR and not the 1st CLASS ACELA he has taken for years... Feel free to comment on that one!
The casket/coffins don't fit through the doors on passenger cars. I suppose the window could be taken out of cafe car but then it would have to be put back in.
  by R36 Combine Coach

Adirondacker wrote:
Bobby S wrote: The ironic thing I see here is the all important, powerful Senator is taking his final ride in an AMTRAK BAGGAGE CAR and not the 1st CLASS ACELA he has taken for years... Feel free to comment on that one!
The casket/coffins don't fit through the doors on passenger cars. I suppose the window could be taken out of cafe car but then it would have to be put back in.
One other oddity I noticed was how was the late Senator carried up to platform level at SEC? There are no freight elevators as are at NYP or NWK.
  by Hawaiitiki

R36 Combine Coach wrote:
Adirondacker wrote:
One other oddity I noticed was how was the late Senator carried up to platform level at SEC? There are no freight elevators as are at NYP or NWK.
These inquiries may take the all-time "morbid" cake on RR.net.
  by ACeInTheHole

Hawaiitiki wrote:
R36 Combine Coach wrote:
Adirondacker wrote:
These inquiries may take the all-time "morbid" cake on RR.net.
Yeah.. I was just gonna say that...
  by Sirsonic

Just because you are unaware of a freight elevator doesn't mean there isn't one.
  by OportRailfan

Sirsonic wrote:Just because you are unaware of a freight elevator doesn't mean there isn't one.
This^^^
  by ACeInTheHole

For the love of god can we please go a day without a frickin political discussion?
  by OportRailfan

Zeke wrote:The man IMHO was a Bolshevik communist libbo and will not be missed. I expect the moderator to respect my first amendment right to voice my opinion.
I previously posted my comment but the overbearing mod deleted my opinion of this man. The title of this thread is self explanatory and I would suggest the present moderator resign from this position if a political view point he does not agree with clouds his judgment. This is a forum to discuss railroading in its various forms however at times the free and open exchange of ideas, and yes political views and position are well within the scope of this threads title " Sen Frank Lautenberg (D-NJ) deceased "
Yet the politics(and just about your entire post) shouldn't be the focus on a RAILROAD website. If you feel the need to push your ideas on others, go find a political forum website, where others will readily listen to your political position.

Second. This is a website provided free of charge to you, the user, at the cost of domain owner. No one can deny you of your first amendment right to speak your mind, and on that note, they are entitled to control what appears on THEIR website/property.

If you don't like what you're hearing, hit the mute button.
  by OportRailfan

P.S. - Jeff Smith Rules!!!!1111~~~
P.P.S. - Cruiser and Uzi live on!
P.P.P.S. - I still like cheese.
  by ThirdRail7

Rule K from the posting guidelines is quite clear:

The Site Admins and Moderators reserve the right to edit or remove any post at any time. The determination of what is construed as indecent, vulgar, spam, etc. as noted in these points is up to Site Admins and not users.

I'm pretty sure your First Amendment right doesn't apply. At least it doesn't for me when it comes to posting pictures! :p So, when your posts disappear or end up in the NJT Nonsense thread Zeke, you'll find yourself in good(?) company!
OportRailfan wrote:P.S. - Jeff Smith Rules!!!!1111~~~
P.P.S. - Cruiser and Uzi live on!
P.P.P.S. - I still like cheese.
P.P.P.P.S.- I want a pony!!