• Security drills have begun.

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by mb

Toaday at New Brunswick as my train pulled into New Brunswick, there were NJT Police as well as New Brunswick Police with a K9 dog (a dalmation). We were instructed to open only 1 door in the 4th car to allow all the passengers to get on. It took about 8 minutes to get everyone on and get out.

I guesss they were doing visual inspections of boarding passengers.

by nick11a

Great, I can't wait to get back to school to experience and witness all of this if it is still occuring then. Unloading and loading through one car at NB certainly does take a long time. Eight minutes actually sounds pretty quick to me.

by jspsh

Which train was the drill conducted on?

by OCtrainguy

Eight minutes is a long time waiting for passengers to board. Plus the time for passengers to disembark the train.

How about one door to exit/enter the train at MetroPark or Matawan? This will obviously add time to the train ride.

by Ken W2KB

That procedure is also used when the police are looking for an ordinary criminal suspect. May or may not have been an anti-terrorism drill. The police don't always state the precise purpose of their actions.

by TAMR213

If they do this when class is back in session, at times, New Brunswick is bound to be a living hell. Also, wouldn't you think the T&E guys and the dispatcher would have something to say about this?

by mb

Train 3710. No passengers disembarked because it originated at Jersey Avenue.

by nick11a

mb wrote:Train 3710. No passengers disembarked because it originated at Jersey Avenue.
Hmm, well 8 minutes JUST for loading passengers through one car is a long time. If they were looking for a suspect boarding a train, they would have probably done it for quite a few eastbound trains then.

by Jtgshu

TAMR213 wrote: wouldn't you think the T&E guys and the dispatcher would have something to say about this?
We wouldn't have a say when a person could board and blow up the train, so why would we have a say in when they do security drills - I say the more inconvienient the situation the better. It will make people wake up and be alert to their surroundings and make them realize, wow, that could happen right here, right now.

There is no "good time or place" for a terrorist attack - so why would we plan and practice as if there was??
  by ryanov

I only have a problem with the idea that they will now be doing this unnecessarily to unnecessarily worry people (control people via fear). It's a waste of time and often a ploy...