Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by cam36

Hi there,

Yesterday morning on my Westbound commute, I noticed there were security cameras installed on the M7 I was riding– 2 in each vestibule (facing each door) and 2 in the main walkway in the middle of the car.

Does anybody have any information on this? Is this being rolled out across all M7s? I would think this would be more widely promoted by the LIRR, especially with the recent fair hikes. People want to know where their money is going and I think this is a perfectly justifiable expense that commuters would be happy about.

Thanks!
  by DutchRailnut

every car at LIRR and MN will be equipped in next few years.
  by Slippy

The cameras are also rolling continuously whether keyed in or not, and the storage drives can hold up to thirty days worth of footage. The cab areas are equipped with audio recording as well. Footage will be an aid in monitoring everyone from T&E crews, mechanical, coach cleaners, ROW incidents to shiesters looking for a bogus lottery payout of an injury.

We heard recently at our sister road (maybe DRN can confirm) that a locomotive engineer was dismissed as a result of covering up the inward facing camera.
  by DutchRailnut

you may have heard correctly.
  by DutchRailnut

ehh no Engineer. obstructing camera's will get you fired, even on first commuter railroad with camera's metro link two guys found out real fast.