Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by Otto Vondrak

they are going to give it the "T" designation, and color it blue... smacks of IND to me! and "T"? who came up with that??

From the MTA web site: Here are highlights of the line:

* 8.5 miles of new track along the length of Manhattan's East Side, from 125th Street to Hanover Square.

* A track connection to the existing 63rd Street and Broadway Lines, providing direct service from East Harlem and the Upper East Side to West Midtown via the Broadway express tracks.

* Two services, each with its own route designation: One service will run generally under Second Avenue from 125th Street to Hanover Square; a second service will operate from 125th Street under Second Avenue and connect to the 63rd Street Line and the Broadway express tracks, using an existing track connection between the 63rd Street Line and the Broadway Line. Second Avenue/Broadway Line service will continue over the Manhattan Bridge into Brooklyn.

* 16 new stations serving communities in Harlem, Upper East Side, East Midtown, Gramercy Park, East Village, Lower East Side, Chinatown and Lower Manhattan.

* An intermodal terminal at 125th Street with transfers to the Lexington Avenue Line and Metro-North Railroad.

* The sequencing plan currently under consideration would construct the subway in four phases. The four phases, which could potentially overlap, are as follows:

* Phase 1: 105th Street to 62nd Street, including the tunnel connection to the 63rd Street/Broadway Line; subway service from 96th Street to West Midtown Manhattan and Brooklyn via the Broadway Line.

* Phase 2: 125th Street to 105th Street; subway service from 125th Street to West Midtown Manhattan and Brooklyn via the Broadway Line.

* Phase 3: 62nd Street to Houston Street, including the 63rd Street tunnel connection to Queens for non-passenger services; subway service from 125th Street to West Midtown Manhattan and Brooklyn via the Broadway Line and from 125th Street to Houston Street.

* Phase 4: Houston Street to Hanover Square; subway service from 96th Street to West Midtown Manhattan and Brooklyn via the Broadway Line and from 125th Street to Hanover Square in Lower Manhattan.

by N.Y. State Of Mind

DTrain22 wrote:If they actually begin construction on the SAS in December, I will eat a rollsign. An R32 rollsign, no less.
Be careful on what you wish for...

by GP38

Otto Vondrak wrote:they are going to give it the "T" designation, and color it blue... smacks of IND to me! and "T"? who came up with that??
I believe the new "T" will be the color of the former JFK Express. T....actually sort of BMT.....that was what ran on the West End in the BMT days.
Otto Vondrak wrote:* 8.5 miles of new track along the length of Manhattan's East Side, from 125th Street to Hanover Square.
I am sorry they decided against the Nassau Street alignment, the existing infastructure (that was just recently abandoned) could have handled it nicely, and provided a direct across the platform transfers for JMZ riders. Now the JMZ will have no direct connection to the second Ave subway, unless they build a transfer to it at Bowery.
Otto Vondrak wrote:* A track connection to the existing 63rd Street and Broadway Lines, providing direct service from East Harlem and the Upper East Side to West Midtown via the Broadway express tracks.
That will be an extention of the current Q train, and keep it's yellow color.
Otto Vondrak wrote:* Two services, each with its own route designation: One service will run generally under Second Avenue from 125th Street to Hanover Square; a second service will operate from 125th Street under Second Avenue and connect to the 63rd Street Line and the Broadway express tracks, using an existing track connection between the 63rd Street Line and the Broadway Line. Second Avenue/Broadway Line service will continue over the Manhattan Bridge into Brooklyn.
Is there any connection (at least physically, even if not in revenue use) for Queens Blvd trains to go through 63rd Street from Queens, and then enter the Second Ave subway either uptown or downtown or both?
* 16 new stations serving communities in Harlem, Upper East Side, East Midtown, Gramercy Park, East Village, Lower East Side, Chinatown and Lower Manhattan.

Again, although it's nice to have moved the line to the east, it's a shame they didn't use the excess capacity that the Nassau line had anyway. It would have saved money too.
With the Water Street alignment that they are using, I can't understand why they are not connecting Grand St to Bowery with an in system transfer, at the very least.
* An intermodal terminal at 125th Street with transfers to the Lexington Avenue Line and Metro-North Railroad.
The line will bend west at 125th St, and the 125th St station will be perpendicular to the avenues. I believe this was a provision to run the line west if they wanted to for a 125th St subway in the future.

Phase 1: 105th Street to 62nd Street, including the tunnel connection to the 63rd Street/Broadway Line; subway service from 96th Street to West Midtown Manhattan and Brooklyn via the Broadway Line.

* Phase 2: 125th Street to 105th Street; subway service from 125th Street to West Midtown Manhattan and Brooklyn via the Broadway Line.

It appears the Q will be running long before the T.

* Phase 3: 62nd Street to Houston Street, including the 63rd Street tunnel connection to Queens for non-passenger services; subway service from 125th Street to West Midtown Manhattan and Brooklyn via the Broadway Line and from 125th Street to Houston Street.
I guess this answers my previous question about Queens. I wonder if they will ever add a Queens service.
* Phase 4: Houston Street to Hanover Square; subway service from 96th Street to West Midtown Manhattan and Brooklyn via the Broadway Line and from 125th Street to Hanover Square in Lower Manhattan.
Maybe our greatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreat grandchildren will one day see opening day in their wheelchairs in the nursing home.

And DTrain22/Bway Junction.....I'll gladly sit down at the table with you and eat that rollsign along side you, if I could ride on the 2nd Ave subway afterwards......Pass the salt, pepper, and maybe add some gravy.

by JFB

The new "T" designation is in. Simple black-on-white. It'll look like this:

Two distinctive paint schemes are being considered for the cars: one white with orange on the bottom, the other white with blue on the bottom.

by GP38

I don't think so.
Look at the map linked above.

by JFB

Don't believe me? Here's a picture. Note the prominent "T" designation:

This shot was taken on a test-run to Forest Hills, Queens--hence the desination sign.

And the new designation won't be confined to the trains. Here's a mock-up of a typical 2nd Avenue station entrance (this one presumably somewhere Downtown):

by efin98

The light blue T shown on the MTA's website is the insignia that may be used. It's NOT going to be a black circle with a white background with a black "T" in the middle, it's going to be a white letter on a solid color background just like every other line insignia on the New York City subway system(minus the four Broadway Line letters).

JFB, I hope you are kidding regarding those pictures. Those ARE NOT New York City subway shots and are sure as heck not artist renditions of the Second Avenue Subway destination signs(even if "T"s are probably on some rollsigns and or on the LED or LCD destination signs). And while there may be a Forest Hills in Queens, no subway car in New York has a destination sign like that ON THE FRONT OF THE TRAIN with the line designation on the side of the train(not above the windows or where a windo would be).

by Robert Paniagua

Yeah, I know, Ed. Geez, Mr. JFB you REALLY don't know where you are, my friend :-). Me and efin98 know that photo very well, and it certainly AINT the F train. It's our hometown MBTA's Orange Line, which also has a Forest Hills stop. And the photo in the street surface taken is in downtown Boston, not Queens.

by JFB

A little New York folklore for you:

In the 1820s, when the city was only a cluster of buildings below Canal Street, a butcher and a carpenter warned that Lower Manhattan was in imminent danger of sinking. The weight of the city was about to tip the end of the island into the harbor like a poorly ballasted ship, they said. They proposed a drastic solution: channeling all the city’s resources, they would saw Manhattan in half, turn the lower half around, and re-attach it to the upper half, thus putting the weight of the city in the middle of the island where it would be properly balanced.

Some people thought the plan was a great idea. Others argued that sawing an island in half is impossible. A few said that the island was in no danger of sinking. No one seemed to realize that the whole thing was a big practical joke.

Moral: when someone pulls your leg, watch that he doesn’t pull it off.

(Now that the jig is up--the first shot is at Jackson Square; the second is the entrance to the Orange Line at Chinatown. Photos courtesy of nycsubway.org.)

by Robert Paniagua

Ok, I was gonna say now..............:-)

'cause it REALLY didn't show a hint of the NYCTA Logo, but you tried to show us a sneak preview of it.

by The Caternary Type

I thought that was a joke!
  by fordhamroad

-o.k. They passed the bond issue. When will they start again on the Second Ave. Subway? What is the current state of planning, how long would it take to start construction moving?
-that is if they ever build it.

-anybody got some news??

Roger

by Someone named Mike

It's been planned since the 20s. Suposedly they already have a map: it will be the T train and the Q train will use the same line for part of its run.

Will they build it? I dunno. Maybe yes, maybe no. They started work in the late 60s but there's not enough tunnel to actually be usable. Kinda sucky that it only involves Manhattan, though. Still, it's cool to see that a bunch of new stations will be opening this century. I guess it would use R160's from the get-go.

by arrow

If they are smart, it will also be automatic train operation from the beginning on that line.