• Seat specs for Amtrak trains

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Milwaukee_F40C

I don't think Amtrak seating is as exact as airline seating or the "feng shui" rules that some railroads used to establish for passenger trains. A train can have a mix of car classes, with cars of the same class that were refurbished slightly differently. Amtrak has been known to substitute business class, cafes, or dome cars when they run out of coaches. The car ends may not all face the same direction in the train, and the seats might be left rotated in different patterns. These things can make small differences in leg room or seat spacing to window spacing. I have ridden trains with Horizon cars with half forward and half backward seat rotation, or some seats near the end turned the other way for some reason. I am pretty sure that some Horizon cars I have been in had extra wide leg room compared to others. In general, I don't think Amtrak seats are that comfortable. Other than leg room or elbow room issues, some airline seat styles have been more comfortable. Fortunately Amtrak allows opportunity to find a better seat or ditch the coach for the lounge. The best Amtrak seating is in a Superliner lounge.
  by 25Hz

Tadman wrote:Bit of advice - sit toward the center of any car, especially the superliners. Physics dictates it's the smoothest ride, and it's definitely noticeable. I hate riding on/near the bulkhead.
On subway cars i stand at the middle to avoid the G forces at the car ends around curves!

I like to grab a window seat in the middle of amfleet cars, good view, good ride!