• Sealed Trash Cans?

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by F40

I was coming home on the 10:14p local at NYP and brought my McDonald's to eat on the train. When I got up to leave at Metropark, I couldn't open the trash bin in the center vestibule to throw away my garbage! I pushed, then I pushed harder, but it was sealed shut.

Is NJT getting a head start on sealing trash bins or was this an exception?

Sorry, I forgot to catch the car #.

by Jtgshu

No they have already started to seal the trashbins for the upcoming republican national convention in NYC at the end of the month.

I have just about broken my hand not realizng the the trash was sealed and banged into it quite hard tyring to throw ripped seatchecks away.

It really hurt! :(

by nick11a

Oh that's why. Make sense. It is a really sensible precaution. And don't worry Jt, you'll learn to change that habit real quick! :wink:

by Lackawanna484

Jtgshu wrote:No they have already started to seal the trashbins for the upcoming republican national convention in NYC at the end of the month.

I have just about broken my hand not realizng the the trash was sealed and banged into it quite hard tyring to throw ripped seatchecks away.

It really hurt! :(
---------------------------

I suspect more people will just leave their garbage on the seats, many folks already do. When will they begin sealing the overhead storage racks, which is also in the plan?

by ryanov

nick11a wrote:Oh that's why. Make sense. It is a really sensible precaution. And don't worry Jt, you'll learn to change that habit real quick! :wink:
I think it's a bunch of BS, personally. Same as replacing all of the trash cans, most of which looked really nice, with plastic bag holders. The "no use of the overhead rack" rule is even dumber. "Travel light" says NJT. Sure, I just carry all of my bags around with me even though I don't have to. Reason enough not to vote republican OR democrat with how much they've inconvenienced people.

by mb

It's a real annoyance for the conductors who are used to tossing away old seat checks etc.

by nick11a

mb wrote:It's a real annoyance for the conductors who are used to tossing away old seat checks etc.
I guess then that on MUs we'll be seeing some more crewmen tossing their seatchecks out between un-married cars on the NEC going at 100 mph.

by GandyDancer

NJT should donate them to the Republicans to use as confetti. It would be the environmentally friendly thing to do!

by Irish Chieftain

Until cleanup time, that is. And just when was the last ticker-tape parade anyway...?

by nick11a

GandyDancer wrote:NJT should donate them to the Republicans to use as confetti. It would be the environmentally friendly thing to do!
Well, sure, some of the funding to buy those things must have come from the gov't so it only seems fare. :wink:

by Olton Hall

I wonder if they are going to unseal the trash bins after the convention? This way they won't have to worry about emptying them anymore.

I think banning the overhead racks is a dumb idea. I'd would think it is better from a security standpoint to have a bag or package on the rack out in the open than underneith the seat out of sight.

by Jtgshu

i think the reasoning is that when the police and dogs come through, they would be better able to detect things if they are down around ground level, not six feet in the air on the luggage racks

by jspsh

speaking of luggage racks, i think they ought to be higher up.
everytime i stand up, the luggage racks hit me in the head :D

how do you seal a luggage rack? IIRC most of the luggage racks are basically metal wires protruding from the sides 6 feet up.

by nick11a

jspsh wrote:speaking of luggage racks, i think they ought to be higher up.
everytime i stand up, the luggage racks hit me in the head :D

how do you seal a luggage rack? IIRC most of the luggage racks are basically metal wires protruding from the sides 6 feet up.
Yeah, I used to have that problem being 6' 4". But after a few good ones, I learned real quick.

Ow!

by ryanov

I got on the train in Manasquan once after a number of glasses of wine at a Christmas party. I got up shortly thereafter to use the restroom (it was a Comet IV cab) and hit my head so hard that it sat me back down, and people around me did that "ooohhhhhh" noise that people do. I attempted again later on after recovering awhile... heh.