• SD9's

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
  by GN 599

Does the NS still operate any SD9's? I've some pics within the last year or so but I believe they were stored.

by nsrayman

yes they do. numbers are 50 - 59.

by GN 599

In service?

by Wanderer

52, 55, 57, and 58 are in service. 50-51, 53-54, 56, and 59 are stored serviceable. They are active roster units still however.

SD9M's 52 and 57 took an Eastbound ride to Juniata yesterday on 10N-21 for some much needed attention. They were DIT (dead in tow), but looked damn good for the senior citizens that they are. Caught them at Summerhill, PA and Gallitzin, PA. The two units are also RC equipped now.

by General

One of my former coworkers spotted the 52 & 57 on the NS 38G to Pavonia Yard in Camden, NJ. These two units may become assigned to the hump at Pavonia.

by Wanderer

Yeah, it seems like the conversations between ALTO and 10N-21 were misunderstood. This will be interesting.

by kevikens

Two of them are sitting right now in the engine house in Camden, NJ where they just arrived.
  by IRN750

The 2 NS SD-9s at Camden are equipt for remote control but they can only be B units account the controls and are brake valves on the controls stand have been removed along with the cab seats. They were inside the engine house at Camden on Monday morning.

by General

I remember seeing a special instruction on NS about the SD9M's not being used as leaders due to something with the brake system.

by GN 599

During the grain rush our SD9's hit the main line. Some still roam but last fall there were two consists of four SD9's working between Northtown and Galesburg. On 10 an 12 thousand ton trains I might add. :P The only restriction our SD9's have are that they are supposed to be the first isolated (along with GP9's and SW's) acct high fuel consumtion and more likeliness of a right of way fire. The few times I have seen em out here we just let em run. :-D

by U-Haul

I am confused about this part of your post.

"The only restriction our SD9's have are that they are supposed to be the first isolated (along with GP9's and SW's) acct high fuel consumtion and more likeliness of a right of way fire."

by pablo

Probably means that if they are in a consist of mulitple units and there is a choice to isolate one or more of the consist (I'll presume you know what that is) the SD-('s are first due to reasons mentioned.

Dave Becker

by nsrayman

shut em down because they are "thirsty"

U-Haul wrote:I am confused about this part of your post.

"The only restriction our SD9's have are that they are supposed to be the first isolated (along with GP9's and SW's) acct high fuel consumtion and more likeliness of a right of way fire."