• Scratch built locos

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by krobar

Hi Everybody, How many of you have scratch built a loco, steam or diesel? I've built 2 over the years. I've built a BLW DRS4415 following an article in Model RRer from the late 60s. I also built a Lima Hamilton LS1200 switcher using the same methods that were used in the BLW constuction. Both are out of sheet styrene, were quite easy to build. In fact I have parts to make another DRS unit, however since Stewart came out with the AS16 it hasn't been on the priority list. I'm still planning on a second Lima though. :)

by NYC-BKO

I never did a complete scratchbuild, but I did a mix partly scratch and partly kitbash of the Penn Central RS-3m 9950. That's as close as I have come. :)
  by pdt

I built a mining shunter for my Egger-Bahn mining cars once using an N scale F7 for the drivetrain. The rest was scratchbuilt out of styrene. It was a freelanced design and it looked as odd as the Egger-Bahn cars. I enjoyed it and will probably scratchbuild another locomotive one day (else heavily kitbash one). For some reason, rail grinders and the electrics of Texas Utilities have managed to wedge themselves in my mind lately, so I may have to do one of each.