• scrap yards

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by oddball

does anyone know where i can get lots of pics of scrap yards and abandoned locos?

by Lehigh Valley Railroad

local scraper near you?

by oddball

not near me!

by The S.P. Caboose

I think there's a scrap yard near Highway 14 between Lancaster, CA and Mojave, CA. Purdee, I believe is the company name.

by oddball

is there any websites w/ pics?

by oddball

both of those are good, thanks! anyone else have some? and i live in new milford, ct.

by oddball

thanks, great pics!

by TerryC

Glad I could help.

keep asking keep learning

by SRS125

The Model Railroad Craftsmen did a nice pice on I think VMV a while back that showed Locomotive scraping in it with many photos.
  by 2nd trick op

The three firms listed below were major purchasers of retired locomotives during the last days of steam:

Luria Brothers - Modena, Penna. (near Coatesville)
Northwestern Steel & Wire - Sterling, Ill.
Peck Iron & Metal - Richmond, Va.

In the case of Northwestern Steel, it retained a fleet of steam switchers (ex-Grand Trunk 0-8-0's) which remained active within the plant for a number of years after the departure of steam from revenue service.

From the diesel era this firm comes to mind.

Naparano Iron & Metal - Newark, N. J.

Undoubtedly there were many others which other readers might name.
Last edited by 2nd trick op on Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by thebigc

2nd trick op wrote: Undoubtedly there were many others which other readers might name.
OK, you've got Pielet Bros. across the tracks from EMD's LaGrange, Il. plant. They scrapped EMD's trade-in fodder.

Then there's St. Louis Auto Shredders in scenic East St. Louis, Il. Last time I was there, in 1988, they had some WP U-30-B's to dispose of.

Hyman-Michaels also rings a bell but I can't recall their location.

by b&m 1566

Another good place is Iron Horse Park in N. Billerica, MA. Though it is now closed, you can only image what it was like when it was open still. Not only did the Boston and Maine Railroad (in the later years towards its closing *Guilford) scrap engines there but they repainted and did maintenance work on locos at that place as well. It officially closed in 1992 and all operations were moved to Waterville, ME

A picture of Iron Horse park http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... ne_Central