• Scrap Silverliner V in Wayne Junction

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by SEPTA2461

Behind the shed north of Wayne Junction station, there is a Silverliner V with no logos, or pantographs, its windows removed, insides gutted, and the middle of its roof removed. What is the story with this Silverliner?
  by R3 Passenger

That is probably the Silverliner V mockup delivered to SEPTA to show off years ago.
  by Clearfield

R3 Passenger wrote:That is probably the Silverliner V mockup delivered to SEPTA to show off years ago.
You would be correct.
  by BuddCar711

Has SEPTA thought about donating the SL-V mock-up to the Please Touch Museum? Because if they finish it up, that would be perfect for children.
  by trackwelder

having ridden Vs about thirty to forty times in the last 3 years, i think they should put it in the garbage, along with all the rest of the m4s, uh, i mean sVs
  by jackintosh11

Although the Silverliner V's aren't great, SEPTA doesn't have the cash to replace them so soon. They could sue Rotem if there is a major problem, or if it is found that the they aren't exactly what the contract specified. Also, passengers in general tend to like them, and if they work perfectly but the passengers hate them, what's the point of having them?
  by radioboy

People on this forum like to get really upset over the fact they look like subway cars instead of an old-timey choo choo
  by R3 Passenger

jackintosh11 wrote:Also, passengers in general tend to like them, and if they work perfectly but the passengers hate them, what's the point of having them?
I cringe every time I see a SL5 pulling into the station to take me somewhere.
radioboy wrote:People on this forum like to get really upset over the fact they look like subway cars instead of an old-timey choo choo
While the visual aesthetic of the SL5 tends to be similar to the M4 El cars, I think that the discontent that forum members present is more than about the look and feel of the car. The appearance only bolsters the argument against SEPTA's "transitization" attitude to the railroad.
You wrote:"'Transitization' attitude?" What do you mean by that, R3 Passenger?
I am referring to the gripes that actual railroaders have presented about the SL5, management of the railroad, installing turnstiles in Center City stations, and (my favorite gripe) bustitution (*cough*Route78*cough*)
You wrote:But Multilevels...
I'll believe it when I finally see it with my own eyes. Forget the bathrooms.
Everyone Else wrote:Are you seriously having a debate with yourself right now?
Yes, and it is the highlight of my day. Leave me alone. :-P
  by jackintosh11

I actually get excited when I see a Silverliner V coming to take me somewhere. If the IVs had railfan windos, then maybe I'd feel differently, but the ride in general is more enjoyable. Also, I can actually understand the announcements. And if a train doesn't look like old trains, it doesn't matter. If a train that looks like a subway car works for its purpose, then I don't care as long as it looks good. The cars also make huge advances in accessibility (I was sitting on an IV in Suburban Station, and there was a man in a scooter. It took forever for him to get through the vestibule door because there wasn't a lot of turning room. Not to mention, the interiors are much brighter and nicer, and the windows are bigger. I personally think that they are great. And I think it would be great for septa to have something in the basement of 1234 representing every mode of transport that they have (there's an el stop accessible in the basement, so that covers subways. There's part of a bus, a trolley, just need a train to complete it.
  by SCB2525

I don't care what it looks like on the outside, but the fact is that it does feel like a dolled up M4 on the inside too. The ride is better than some of the worse IV's, but they're too bright and flourescent-y, and the seating arrangement (perpendicular bench seat?) leaves much to be desired (such as more seats). The only time they're overtly better is ironically as a standee.
  by Limited-Clear

That bench seat is required and is actually a very good idea, bikes can be put right in there and strapped in securely, no more trying to maneuver a bike all the way through a car while the train moves, wheelchair passengers get on and into their spot a lot easier and quicker, that is actually one of the good things about those cars, however these posts are off topic for this thread
  by 25Hz

R3 Passenger wrote:
jackintosh11 wrote:Also, passengers in general tend to like them, and if they work perfectly but the passengers hate them, what's the point of having them?
I cringe every time I see a SL5 pulling into the station to take me somewhere.
radioboy wrote:People on this forum like to get really upset over the fact they look like subway cars instead of an old-timey choo choo
While the visual aesthetic of the SL5 tends to be similar to the M4 El cars, I think that the discontent that forum members present is more than about the look and feel of the car. The appearance only bolsters the argument against SEPTA's "transitization" attitude to the railroad.
You wrote:"'Transitization' attitude?" What do you mean by that, R3 Passenger?
I am referring to the gripes that actual railroaders have presented about the SL5, management of the railroad, installing turnstiles in Center City stations, and (my favorite gripe) bustitution (*cough*Route78*cough*)
You wrote:But Multilevels...
I'll believe it when I finally see it with my own eyes. Forget the bathrooms.
Everyone Else wrote:Are you seriously having a debate with yourself right now?
Yes, and it is the highlight of my day. Leave me alone. :-P

Having ridden PA-1 to PA-5 and every type of NYC subway car, and then all the stuff on LIRR, NJT, and SEPTA railroad wise, i can confirm that the silverliner 5 is a bloated subway car. I'd even go so far to call them transitliners, as they have no place on a real railroad.
  by Limited-Clear

Call them what you want, their official name is still Silverliner V and because of lots of new nimby laws (some necessary and some not so much) it's the style were are stuck with, but of course hidden away at the back of your sock drawer you have the schematics and blueprints for a perfect railroad car don't you? After all reading all the threads and links others have posted your an expert.

By the way when, how big and for how long has that kink been in track 1 at Grundy (and what caused it)? And why do we always slow down when on track 4

(Just trying to take this thread even further off topic than it already has been)

Happy days everyone :-)