• Schedule Lengthened for Port Jervis trains

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Patrick Boylan

srock1028 wrote:
Ken W2KB wrote:As mentioned above, not just those to Hoboken, RVL trains had a couple minutes added also. I happened upon a 10 year old Raritan Valley line timetable in a file drawer at the office today while cleaning out old files. The two minutes added to RVL trains in the recent timetable makes the trains I compared now traveling a 5 minute longer trip then those of 10 years ago.
Train timings for your 10 year old RVL timetable and timetables up to this current one reflect 6 car single level trains. Now that every RVL train is a 7ML, timings had to be adjusted for the heavier and slower consist.

-NO BS
and perhaps different dwell times. Although multilevels have 1 more door than a center door equipped single level, they might not be able to use all those doors as efficiently as a single level since most inside passengers traversing the steps will hit the inside doors first, and probably not use the vestibule doors. Of course that might mean boarding passengers might be able to use the vestibule doors before everybody inside has disembarked, and there might be enough room between the vestibule and the inside doors for those boarders to line up looking for seats inside the train instead of on the platform.
  by JoeG

A while back I saw a 1913 Harlem Line timetable, N White Plains to Grand Central. I think that was just after the electrification was completed. Its times were the same as they were currently. (That was a few years ago.) But at NJT, times keep creeping up, for whatever reasons. Certainly on my trains, weekend and off-hour dwell times seem excessive. I would say that NJT has no interest in tightening schedules even when it can.
In a 1926 Railway Guide, you can find a train that goes from Hoboken to Gladstone in an hour and 7 minutes--that was before electrification. The fastest I can find now is an hour and 19 minutes.
  by steemtrayn

According to the schedule, it takes a train four minutes to go from Bay Head to Point Pleasant Beach, but up to twenty two minutes from Pt. Beach to Bay Head....What's it, uphill or somethin'?
  by MTASUPT

Correct - Midland Avenue slow down and the few changes on the Tier
  by cobra30689

steemtrayn wrote:According to the schedule, it takes a train four minutes to go from Bay Head to Point Pleasant Beach, but up to twenty two minutes from Pt. Beach to Bay Head....What's it, uphill or somethin'?
My guess? Padding for the possibility that the bridge at Brielle may be open for Manasquan River traffic. Remember that water traffic has the right of way. Kinda like the ridiculous amount of padding WB from Little Silver/Monmouth Park to Long Branch. Although I've never seen Oceanport OPEN.....
  by alewifebp

steemtrayn wrote:According to the schedule, it takes a train four minutes to go from Bay Head to Point Pleasant Beach, but up to twenty two minutes from Pt. Beach to Bay Head....What's it, uphill or somethin'?
It's padding at the end point. It helps them to maintain an on time percentage. You'll see this in bus schedules too.
  by SecaucusJunction

srock1028 wrote: Train timings for your 10 year old RVL timetable and timetables up to this current one reflect 6 car single level trains. Now that every RVL train is a 7ML, timings had to be adjusted for the heavier and slower consist.

-NO BS

Isn't that a problem those turbo powered gas guzzling dust busters were supposed to solve?
  by blockline4180

SecaucusJunction wrote:
srock1028 wrote: Train timings for your 10 year old RVL timetable and timetables up to this current one reflect 6 car single level trains. Now that every RVL train is a 7ML, timings had to be adjusted for the heavier and slower consist.

-NO BS

Isn't that a problem those turbo powered gas guzzling dust busters were supposed to solve?
LOL, gotta admit, that was a good one!!! :-D
  by 25Hz

srock1028 wrote:
Ken W2KB wrote:As mentioned above, not just those to Hoboken, RVL trains had a couple minutes added also. I happened upon a 10 year old Raritan Valley line timetable in a file drawer at the office today while cleaning out old files. The two minutes added to RVL trains in the recent timetable makes the trains I compared now traveling a 5 minute longer trip then those of 10 years ago.
Train timings for your 10 year old RVL timetable and timetables up to this current one reflect 6 car single level trains. Now that every RVL train is a 7ML, timings had to be adjusted for the heavier and slower consist.

-NO BS
Not to mention that some of them run with the slower loading P40's.

At the risk of sounding ridiculous, i'm going to say, that sometimes adding a minute or two can decrease the pressure of being on time, and thus possibly reducing the mental fatigue caused by such. How many incidents have been caused by trying to keep the schedule... take that pressure off a bit and might help. While people trying to make a connection might not like it, in the end it does more good than harm, especially if it prevents even one incident.
  by morris&essex4ever

SecaucusJunction wrote:

-NO BS

For a second there, I thought you were talking about the 747-400. :P
  by CentralValleyRail

25Hz wrote:
srock1028 wrote:

-NO BS
Not to mention that some of them run with the slower loading P40's.

At the risk of sounding ridiculous, i'm going to say, that sometimes adding a minute or two can decrease the pressure of being on time, and thus possibly reducing the mental fatigue caused by such. How many incidents have been caused by trying to keep the schedule... take that pressure off a bit and might help. While people trying to make a connection might not like it, in the end it does more good than harm, especially if it prevents even one incident.
Something tells me the crew doesn't care if they are on time. They get paid regardless. Upper management might make a big stink about it just like in the airline industry but at the end of the day can't sweat what you can't control, and heavy PAX boardings is not controllable.
  by ThirdRail7

CentralValleyRail wrote:
Something tells me the crew doesn't care if they are on time. They get paid regardless. Upper management might make a big stink about it just like in the airline industry but at the end of the day can't sweat what you can't control, and heavy PAX boardings is not controllable.
Yes, because every train crew I know wants to spends as much time as possible on the train. They don't want to arrive early or anything so they can use the bathroom, clear their heads, remit or eat before their next run. At the end of the day, no one wants to make their way home or anything.

Being late just allows the crews to spend more time with the beloved passengers. Who would pass up that kind of opportunity?
  by Idiot Railfan

There was a guy who worked in a place that made dentures. His job was to fit new dentures to the mold of the gums of the patient. Sometimes he would not get the denture to fit the mold properly, and the point would come where rather than fix the denture to fit the mold, he would just file down the mold until it fit the denture. Problem solved.
  by TDowling

MilepostsWest' May '14 publication explained in detail the lengthening of the schedule of Port Jervis Line trains. Definitely has to do with safety, and they claimed that no train would have its schedule lengthened by more than 3 min.
  by sullivan1985

This is part of Metro-North's reaction to their wreck at Spuyten Duyvil. Almost immediately after, Metro-North changed all the speeds so that there was no change greater than 20MPH between published MAS and speed restrictions.