• Schedule Changes (PR)

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by railtrailbiker

Main-Bergen line rail customers will see more service from Hoboken and Secaucus Junction as NJ TRANSIT alters its timetables on October 31. Weekday evening schedules will be restructured to provide, on average, 30-minute service between Hoboken/Secaucus Junction and Suffern from 7 p.m. until midnight.

“This schedule change brings very good news for customers along the Main-Bergen lines,” said NJ TRANSIT Executive Director George D. Warrington. “This is about giving our customers more flexibility and the ability to spend more time in Manhattan, which is the kind of choice our customers are looking for.”

The new timetable provides more frequent service on the Main Line – both eastbound and westbound – focused on the high-density stations between Glen Rock and Suffern, including the new Ramsey Route 17 station. Under the new schedule, trains will depart Glen Rock for Suffern every 30 minutes, with stops at Ridgewood, Ho-ho-kus and Ramsey Route 17.

Similarly, service in both directions on the Bergen County Line will improve with hourly service between Hoboken/Secaucus Junction, Rutherford, Fairlawn and Glen Rock.

The new schedule, which fills service gaps up to 90 minutes on the Main Line and up to 2½ hours on the Bergen Line, will provide hourly service on the branches from Hoboken to Ridgewood on both lines.

NJ TRANSIT will begin operating a new train that will serve as the latest weekday express departure from Hoboken, fulfilling the most popular customer request on the Main-Bergen lines. Train 1165 will depart Hoboken at 6:21 p.m., operate express to Ridgewood and then make all stops to Suffern. The last express train on the current schedule, which will continue to be offered, departs Hoboken at 5:45 p.m.

Morris & Essex Lines/Northeast Corridor
Responding to holiday travel patterns that in recent years have produced ridership increases of more than 30 percent on Saturdays and Sundays (compared with 14 percent on weekdays), NJ TRANSIT will offer 16 “Holiday Extra” trains on weekends this season on the Morris & Essex Lines and the Northeast Corridor.

On the M&E, four new trains will depart Dover between 8:36 a.m. and 11:36 a.m. and arrive in New York at 48 minutes after the hour, beginning at 9:48 a.m. Each train, which is scheduled to make all stops to Summit and operate express to Newark Broad Street before arriving in New York, cuts about 18 minutes off the typical Dover-New York trip. Outbound, four new “Holiday Extra” trains will depart New York between 4:03 p.m. and 7:03 p.m., stopping at Newark Broad Street and operating express to Summit before making all stops to Dover.

On the Northeast Corridor, four new “Holiday Extra” trains will depart Trenton between 8:25 a.m. and 11:25 a.m. The trains will run express from New Brunswick to Newark Airport and stop at Newark Penn Station and Secaucus Junction before arriving in New York. For return trips, four new trains will depart New York between 4:09 p.m. and 7:09 p.m., stopping at Newark Penn Station and Newark Airport before expressing to New Brunswick, followed by all westbound stops to Trenton.

Also on the NEC, new weekday train 3811 will improve service for reverse commuters as it departs New York at 5:03 a.m., filling a 51-minute gap in the current schedule. The train makes all local stops to Trenton except Jersey Avenue, arriving at 6:32 a.m. The train provides a new 13-minute connection with River LINE service to Camden, a five-minute connection with SEPTA service to Philadelphia, and convenient transfers to Capital Connection buses to Downtown Trenton and the Statehouse.

North Jersey Coast Line
On the North Jersey Coast Line (NJCL), NJ TRANSIT will make two changes in response to customer feedback. Weekday Train 5300, which will depart Bay Head at 4:33 a.m. and arrive in Newark at 6:03 a.m., will add a Red Bank stop to accommodate customer requests for earlier service.

In addition, an earlier NJCL shuttle will depart Long Branch at 7:20 a.m. and arrive in Bay Head at 8:09 a.m. for reverse commuters. Prior to this change, the earliest Bay Head-bound shuttle left Long Branch at 8:40 a.m.
http://www.njtransit.com/nn_press_relea ... SE_ID=1512

by nick11a

Wow, these are really good improvements. The crowning triumph though is the hourly service on weekdays on the Main and Bergen Lines. I'm happy they are finally instituting this. The improvements on the Main and Bergen Lines will hopefully help Secaucus and Route 17.

by Jtgshu

Also, note that there weren't any trains removed - espeically on the Coast Line - the weekend Hoboken/Bay Head express trains are still in the schedule, quite surprising to me. Im glad to see the earlier shuttle out of LB, now if they would only add an earlier westbound out of NYP, but thats just me.......

there are also a few schedule time tweaks too, wiht a few train departures a few minutes different. These are a few and far between, but tehre is a few.

Im glad to see that NJT is finally realizing that a tremendous amount of people ride the trains on the weekends, and that they are finally responding to the weekend ridership needs. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if at least the NEC "Holiday expresses" become permament. Some of those trains really need these new trains to ease severe overcrowding.

by nick11a

Jtgshu wrote:Also, note that there weren't any trains removed - espeically on the Coast Line - the weekend Hoboken/Bay Head express trains are still in the schedule, quite surprising to me. Im glad to see the earlier shuttle out of LB, now if they would only add an earlier westbound out of NYP, but thats just me.......
Wow, didn't realize that. Pretty cool

by Olton Hall

I would like the idea of the holiday specials on the NEC becoming a permanent thing. I hope for this holiday season they use the ALP's and non C5 couches for those trains so they can take advantage of the long distance between stops and a faster MAS other than the 90 for the Arrows and the C5 (unless Amtrak approves the C5's for 100mph by then). I do hope the schedule them better than last years holiday specials (which stopped at other stations) They got behind trains stopping at Seacacus when meant they had to wait for that train to clear SJ and Newark.

by njt4172

NICE!! So now we have weekend express service to NY on the M&E lines??? I think this is the first time for express train service on weekends east of Summit since 1995??

Steve

by njtmnrrbuff

I am happy about the service improvements on the Main and Bergen County Lines. It is about time that there will be more service flexibility between Suffern and points east especially for reverse commuters. Also, hourly service east of Ridgewood on both the Main and Bergen County branches. What I really like about this is that lets say if I would like to railfan at Ridgewood, I could have my choice for hourly service at either Clifton- accessible by the 705 bus on weekdays and Saturdays from Upper Montclair, and Passaic, accessible by the 709 weekdays and Saturdays.

by thebigc

nick11a wrote:Wow, these are really good improvements. The crowning triumph though is the hourly service on weekdays on the Main and Bergen Lines. I'm happy they are finally instituting this. The improvements on the Main and Bergen Lines will hopefully help Secaucus and Route 17.
The crowning achievement is express service Summit-Broad St.

We'll see how long this lasts.

by BlockLine_4111

More trains = JOBS, JOBS, JOBS.

However No mention of weekend trains to/from Montclair.

by Lackawanna484

BlockLine_4111 wrote:More trains = JOBS, JOBS, JOBS.

However No mention of weekend trains to/from Montclair.

-------------------

Three more years to go. Wasn't there a five year moratorium on new service after the connection was completed?

by njtmnrrbuff

I would like to see weekend service on the Montclair-Boonton Line. The Decamp buses tend to run late on purpose. Also, once your stuck in traffic, you might be waiting for a while.

by nick11a

thebigc wrote:
nick11a wrote:Wow, these are really good improvements. The crowning triumph though is the hourly service on weekdays on the Main and Bergen Lines. I'm happy they are finally instituting this. The improvements on the Main and Bergen Lines will hopefully help Secaucus and Route 17.
The crowning achievement is express service Summit-Broad St.

We'll see how long this lasts.
Yeah, that is a crowning achievment too. No doubt about it. :-)

by njtmnrrbuff

I see, express service on the Morris and Essex on weekends. NJT is getting into the "Metro North" state of mind on the Morris&Essex. You know how packed those news trains will be.

by nick11a

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:You know how packed those news trains will be.
I was thinking the same thing just a few minutes ago. The popularity of these trains will grow. Well, I imagine then that they'll have to use the longer trains. I think the longest train they have on the Dover line is 10 or 12 cars (not quite sure.)

The thing is for Gladstone passengers, I wonder how long of a wait they'll have at Summit. And I also wonder if they are going to have any Gladstone MidTown Direct Trains on weekends (the most they could have is one or two as they only have two sets in the yard- and eight car train and a 9 car train). It has been rumored at a few times in here having Gladstone MidTOWN direct service on weekends. And it would finally give that big ol' Gladstone Branch board in Secaucus something to do. To date, the only thing it has said is "Please be aware and aware of your surroundings etc."

by Uzi-Cat

Crap, with these new express trains on the weekend, that means I can't laugh when people ask me if my midtown train is "the express". Leave it to transit to take the fun out of conducting. In all seriousness though, the addition of a train which makes all stops to summit then expresses to Newark is a great idea. It should not just be for the holiday period though.

Scott