• Scenic Amtrak Train Rides

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Greg Moore

CarterB wrote:Been to Kansas...once...Ft. Riley....no more..thanks!!!
I spent a weekend in Kansas one night...
  by ExCon90

Greg Moore wrote:
CarterB wrote:Been to Kansas...once...Ft. Riley....no more..thanks!!!
I spent a weekend in Kansas one night...
The only thing worth seeing at Fort Riley when I was there was the UP steam running through the middle of Camp Funston (I probably saw 844 at one time or another without realizing its future significance), but without the steam there doesn't seem to be any reason to go there.
  by kitn1mcc

The Shoreline in Ct is real nice. also the run between pen and NHV has some real nice spots

Downeaster is great too
  by jbvb

I agree about the CZ, Adirondack. I like the 2nd day of the SW Chief, particularly WB coming up to the Front Range at Trinidad, then the two passes with the high plains in between. I have always liked the Coast Starlight from Burbank to Salinas - one serious mountain climb N of San Luis Obispo, lots of coastal views S. of SLO
  by markhb

The Downeaster gets you some coastal marsh and a couple of picturesque New England towns in NH, plus some industrial backside in Lawrence. The beyond-ALB portions of the LSL aren't all "boring Rust Belt," as there are some nice views of the Mohawk River and Erie Canal. No real mountain backdrops, but the water can be nice. I'll also mention the Boston section of the LSL, particularly westbound. If you want "fading industrial" Worcester has some to offer, and in the fall the Berkshire portion, where you're cutting through mountain forest between Springfield and Pittsfield, is probably ablaze all around you (I've ridden it in spring, not fall, though).