• Scenery on the Santa Fe

• Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Komachi

by snowplough

I posted this question on the HO forum, but it belongs here.

I'm interested in modeling the ATSF, but I'm in love with Appalachian scenery.

So . . . Is there any stretch on the ATSF system map in which you have a fair amount of hills and tunnels, but you don't have the sparse vegetation of the Southwest?

snowplough
  by bill haithcoat

Well, I am not sure about hills and tunnels but it certainly starts out as completely green from Chicago. I think by the time you wake up the next morning you are in desert scenery. But it is at least green at the eastern end.
  by snowplough

I'm interested in modeling the ATSF, but I'm in love with Appalachian scenery.

So . . . Is there any stretch on the ATSF system map in which you have a fair amount of hills and tunnels, but you don't have the sparse vegetation of the Southwest?

snowplough

by The S.P. Caboose

There is some parts of the trackage rights between East Mojave and Kern Junction (Bakersfield) on the Union Pacific. The town of Mojave is on the east side of the mainline, kind of a small town, that has highway 14 between the town and mainline. outside of that it's mostly desert. The town of Tehachapi is further north has some "rolling hills" around town. The only other town is Bakersfield, basicly flat in the farm land area of the San Joaquin Valley.

This id mainly mountain railroading. Bakersfield is at 411' above sea level. Summit switch in Tehachapi is at 4,032'. I'm not sure the elevation at Mojave.

On the south end of Mojave railfans travel on highway 14. Going straight thru Mojove you exit town on highway 58 (the back door, if you will, into Bakersfield). Tunnels 14 - 17 are in the Marcel area. Tunnel 9 is where the trains actually cross over/under themselves, aka Tehachapi Loop. This is where Walong is located. Tunnel 10 on the northeast side is Walong and on the southwestern side is Marcel.

Traffic paterns are mostly BNSF trains during the day and UP during the night hours. Normally about 50 trains a day between the two.

The area where there's less of a desert in in the Los Angeles or San Bernardino area's to the south to San Diego. More flat than rolling hills. The tracks travel thru Orange and San Diego counties. Larger towns, about the only hill area is at Mirmar.

by Lehigh Valley Railroad

Vegitation would only be some small bushes, thistle... stuff like that, no major or green stuff.

by Cactus Jack

Try the area around Flagstaff - pines and vegetation and mountains
  by SSW9389

No.
snowplough wrote:I'm interested in modeling the ATSF, but I'm in love with Appalachian scenery.

snowplough