• Saugus Branch

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by ragove

Many years ago (1944-1966) I lived on Robinson Street, Saugus near the Saugus Branch of the B&M (I now live in Leesburg, VA). In my retirement I have been thinking about modeling in HO the parts of the branch where it crossed Denver Street where I spent many hours train-watching. After 1/2 a century I am having some difficulty remembering the details. I recall a deep cut east of Denver street, a 2 track main and trailing sidings (for each direction of the mains) serving the Cliftondale Woodworking and a team area on one side and some coal/oil company on the other (I can't seem to bring back the name; may have been Sweeny). I seem to think that there were some cross-overs in the area. Anyway, if anyone out there can fill in some gaps or has some pictures of the area I would be most appreciative.

Ron Gove
Leesburg, VA

by BM6569

Is this the same track that route 1 crosses over. If you look down below at the tracks that pass under route 1, it looks like there was a 3-4 track main line but it is really overgrown. Tracks to look complete though.

Warren

by ragove

BM6569 wrote:Is this the same track that route 1 crosses over. If you look down below at the tracks that pass under route 1, it looks like there was a 3-4 track main line but it is really overgrown. Tracks to look complete though.

Warren
The branch goes under rt 1 in Revere.