• Saratoga & North Creek Railway (ex-UHRR) - 2011

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by RussNelson

MikeVT wrote:3+ hours in North Creek is kinda long. To bad it doesnt go all the way up to Riparius.
I think you've got your stations out of order. Track is OOS about 1000' north of North Creek. AFAIK there are no impairments other than brush, crossing signals, and tired ties until you get to the rockfall. And that's north of the bridge over the Hudson.
  by Otto Vondrak

RussNelson wrote:
MikeVT wrote:3+ hours in North Creek is kinda long. To bad it doesnt go all the way up to Riparius.

Riparius = Riverside Station and what is there to do there besides visit the craft shack or the hot dog stand? Line is indeed open all the way to North Creek. The line north to the Tahawus mine site is OOS.

http://www.adirondackbranch.net/stations.html

-otto-
  by derail

Hmm round trip to saratoga and back every day?? Ambitious. Costs a lot to run this stuff. Will see what I can find out this weekend.

BTW- otto, this ain't westchester we're talking about here. The Locals, whether they be business owners, politicians, or whomever, are a wealth of information. And yes, I know its a business, Sherlock.....
  by Otto Vondrak

derail wrote:BTW- otto, this ain't westchester we're talking about here. The Locals, whether they be business owners, politicians, or whomever, are a wealth of information. And yes, I know its a business, Sherlock.....
Phew, I better get some butter for that TOAST you just served me! :-D

What does Westchester have to do with anything (folks are equally clueless down here)? I know "locals" are great sources of rumor and conjecture, but unless they are directly involved in any negotiations with the railroad, it's all just so much hot air as far as I am concerned.

-otto-
  by Safetee

a friend of mine tried to buy a ticket on the SNC recently and got a surprising response. I'm wondering if anyone else has tried and what response they got.
  by Kuyahoora Valley

They don't have a contract with the county yet so maybe they're unwilling to sell tickets.

What's interesting is the schedule promising 2 round trips per day to Saratoga. Most of the North Creekians I've talked to really can't see people making the trip down and back to Saratoga when it can be donw much faster by car. Also, the 2 hour each way trip is very ambitious, and would require an average speed of 30 mph, hard to achieve with today's track conditions and unknown delays waiting to get on CP Main. The railroaders familiar with the line say 15 mph average is much more realistic.

Thinking for the layover in North Creek...see the town in 30 minutes, grab lunch at the Barking Spider, and go sit by the Hudson and watch it flow by. Maybe do some fishing next to the turntable...
  by D.Carleton

The Railfan & Railroad site is reporting on power heading to the S&NC:
Railnews wrote:SLRG B39-8E No. 8524 is decked out in Delaware & Hudson's lightning-striped blue and gray with yellow trim, while FP10 No. 1100 wears a Boston & Maine-like coat of maroon with imitation gold striping and Rio Grande lettering.
  by RussNelson

Now .... if you could run a float train, now THAT would be a source of multiple trips and revenue in the summer. However, they put in further north than North Creek, so they'd have to get that track back into service.
  by daylight4449

D.Carleton wrote:The Railfan & Railroad site is reporting on power heading to the S&NC:
Railnews wrote:SLRG B39-8E No. 8524 is decked out in Delaware & Hudson's lightning-striped blue and gray with yellow trim, while FP10 No. 1100 wears a Boston & Maine-like coat of maroon with imitation gold striping and Rio Grande lettering.
Wait, is this power going to stand in for the E8 and BL2s until they're ready?
  by Otto Vondrak

Safetee wrote:a friend of mine tried to buy a ticket on the SNC recently and got a surprising response. I'm wondering if anyone else has tried and what response they got.
Kuyahoora Valley wrote:They don't have a contract with the county yet so maybe they're unwilling to sell tickets.
I couldn't find any where on the site ( http://www.sncrr.com/ )where they are offering tickets, so I don't know how you tried to make a purchase. Obviously they are not set up for ticket sales yet. As for the contract, didn't the county award them the franchise to operate the line?[/quote]
  by Otto Vondrak

D.Carleton wrote:The Railfan & Railroad site is reporting on power heading to the S&NC:
Yeah, my post from Saturday got buried:
Otto Vondrak wrote:According to a thread on Trainorders.com, SLRG 8524 and 1100 in Walsenburg, CO waiting to interchange to UP on 5/20, destination Saratoga Springs, NY. 8524 is a dash-8 painted in D&H lightning stripe, 1100 is an FP10 in a red paint scheme. Most likely temporary power for SNC while the BL2’s are in the shop...

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/r ... ?1,2470841
  by Safetee

on passenger trains, if you dont have a ticket in hand you can't ride. in contract railroad operations, if you don't have a signed contract in hand, you cant operate. if you're not operating, you cant' sell tickets.
  by Otto Vondrak

Safetee wrote:on passenger trains, if you dont have a ticket in hand you can't ride. in contract railroad operations, if you don't have a signed contract in hand, you cant operate. if you're not operating, you cant' sell tickets.
>blinks<

If they are not selling tickets on their web site, then why are you surprised you could not buy a ticket?
  by daylight4449

Man never thought I'd see a late GE that looks that good. Maybe they should keep it on SNC