• Salem Action Alert

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by highrail

Inbound freight to salem tonight (6:30 PM), with 4-5 covered hoppers for eastman gelatine. Unusual. Seems to be normally be a daylight move.
  by csrrfan86

They run "as-needed" which is about twice a week. Crew goes on duty at noon in Lawrence and they have to fight the commuter traffic to Somerville and then to Salem.
  by rb

Is Univar in Salem still receiving tank cars? Any idea what is (or was) in them?
  by csrrfan86

They get cars once a month if that with some type of acid.
  by csrrfan86

LA-2 left Salem around 16:00 headed for Lawrence. Freshly painted PAR #350 delivered 4 loads to Eastman and brought out 5 empties.
  by consist

I don't think Univar gets acid (by rail anyway). The odd tankers I've seen for them in the last few years are all placarded class 3 flammable liquids, usually petroleum distillates or toluene. They used to get quite a variety of hazmats in the 90's and earlier. In fact all of the chemical customers I'm familiar with in New England have had a similar dwindling in both variety and frequency of shipments in the last 15-20 years, with the possible exception of Safe Handling in Auburn ME.
The "off topic" light is flashing so I'll stop flapping my gums now...
  by highrail

Saturday, September 27th. Unusual Saturday move. Guilford #340 delivering 6 loads to Eastman Gelatine. Took 2 empties out. Hard to figure their schedule.

Steve
  by GP40MC1118

That L0SA out of Somerville this morning. Back to Somerville as
SALO with 1 load and 1 empty.

D
  by highrail

AND, October Railpace, pages 38-39 features 2 shots connected to this line, with one by no other than csrrfan86! NIce job!

Steve
  by csrrfan86

Thanks! Also, Matt Rooks shot of LA-2 with #516 leading is FANTASTIC with the Boston Sky Line behind!

-Wayne J.
  by FatNoah

According to another thread, they returned to Lawrence via Reading on Saturday.
  by csrrfan86

Whats been going on with this branch? No action this week?
  by csrrfan86

LA-Xtra is in Peabody as I type this. #312 has 4 loads for Eastman Gelatine. It was cool watching them push snow across Peabody Sq. Time will tell if they run back tonight OR tie down at Allens Lane and run back tomorrow in daylight.