Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by unknown

It is so sad that some conductors on the LIRR do not give professional courtesy to other MTA employees. I understand if they say we don't accept our pass but to treat us like a criminal and/ or berate us is just ridiculous. Oh but make sure all those NYPD cadets ride free.
  by Blockhead98

I'm with you, 'Bro (except the part about NYPD cadets). The Overlords Of Evil (aka MTA) have spotters on trains from time to time to torment and torture crew members who do the right thing. Just so you know.
  by NYCrails

unknown wrote:It is so sad that some conductors on the LIRR do not give professional courtesy to other MTA employees. I understand if they say we don't accept our pass but to treat us like a criminal and/ or berate us is just ridiculous. Oh but make sure all those NYPD cadets ride free.
Hey it also goes the other way around . Numerous times I had it out with token booth clerks. I'm okay with being denied , but they take it to the extreme at times trying to embarrass someone for no reason. I just stand there quiet and pay while they go into their routine yelling and carrying on. But we all are under the same umbrella so I don't get it as well.
  by wintower

Watch out for "Winnie"...she does not let ANYBODY ride!!!
  by SlackControl

There are only certain people allowed to ride for free. It is the train crew's responsibility to collect the proper fare. These days there are spotters all over watching, just waiting to pounce on an employee not doing their job properly, including collecting fares properly. The real professional courtesy should come from the MTA employee looking for a free ride. It should be understood that if a free ride can not be given, the argument should be dropped. The person asking for the free ride should do so in a discrete manor as to not draw attention. The employees from the other branches should remember that when they are on duty, they have a job that they are expected to do by those who sign their checks. If a courtesy ride can not be given, the person asking for the courtesy ride should have the courtesy to not harrass the on duty employee for doing his job, and just say "well, maybe next time". That's the real courtesy. You also can not expect to show up to a train with five friends, arrogantly flash your MTA ID and expect a free ride for all, in plain sight for everyone to witness.

Sorry for the somewhat rant, but courtesy goes both ways.
  by freightguy

Let's hope the carrier doesnt take a page out of NJ Transits's book and start to charge certain of their own employees.
  by pbass

As to a system wide pass as issued by SEPTA,some years ago when Metro-North unions were negotiating,one request was the system wide pass,this of course was denied.I don't recall who was president of the NYCTA at that time,he sent a letter to Peter Stangl who was MNRR president advising him that MNRR employees were using their passes to ride on his company.Mr.Stangl sent notice our passes were only "valid" on MNRR.
  by REM3Night

Courtesy goes both ways!! Well said, Slack Control!!
The company that I worked for used to give retirees a gold badge allowing them to get past security to visit. One retiree stormed into the president's office to complain about something. The gold badges were discontinued. Now one person's abuse/misuse of his gold badge has ruined it for everyone.
  by LocoCam

As a freight employee I appreciate all the "courtesies" I'm granted, here are my tips, just be discrete and be prepared to pay or not board (always ask on the platform).
  by Noel Weaver

This situation is not new. I lived in Jamaica way back in the 60's and recall more than once the subway not running on schedule and having to take the LIRR home from Penn Station. One night I caught a train by a hair and I don't think there was any way to buy a ticket in the middle of the night anyway. I had a Penn Central entire system pass at the time and the guy on the LIRR not only said no but was totally unpleasant about it. I paid and rode the train to Jamaica but the worst part of that night was the close to two mile hike from the station home. As i said this situation predates the MTA ownership by ages. Today I would not even give somebody the satisfaction of saying no, the senior discount works even if I decide to go at the last minute and do not have time to try to buy a ticket ahead of time. Today as before you just have to accept the situation, it goes with the territory.
Noel Weaver
  by Paul

Not just Long Island Railroad:

When I was working for Amtrak at the Metorlink operation, I was riding home and the conductor asked me for my ticket. I misplaced it so he (a co-worker who knew me) wrote me a $300 citation. Later that same trip the HEP went down. I was the only MofE employee on the train and he came to get me to fix it. I told him to call the mechanical department to get someone out there cause I ain't fixing it since he cited me as a regular scofflaw and oh well.

The next morning I got called into the BIG man's office (Amtrak regional VP) and Mr. P was really surprised at my refusal to help out in that situation. He and I always had a good working relationship. I showed him the cite and he shook his head in disbelief and said I can't blame you now. He took the cite and told me to forget about it. I know the conductor never spoke to me again for the two remaining years I worked there. I am sure Mr. P must have had something very interesting to say to him.
  by Andrew

Excellent thread and I agree.I work for the NYC Transit Authority and when I show my MTA pass on an LIRR train I get a reaction from the conductor as if I stole thousands from them.I got into it pretty good with one conductor who was just an all out obnoxious jerk.

A simple "I cannot honor your pass,you have to purchase a ticket" would suffice just fine.

I have rode SEPTA and the philly subway system and not only do you not pay to ride but the employees treated me like I was the pope.Very decent and extremly gracious.Perhaps there is something to the saying Philadelphia is the city of Brotherly love.
  by LocoCam

So as a "Freight" guy I shouldn't even try on LIRR?
  by Noel Weaver

LocoCam wrote:So as a "Freight" guy I shouldn't even try on LIRR?
I would not waste my time.
Noel Weaver
  by EM2000

Everyone, Noel Weaver has spoken, we can now lock this thread..