• Rt 128 station

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Clean Cab

I'm planning a trip to the Rt. 128 station soon and I need to know what's the best time to take pictures/videos? Are there any good or bad locations on the platforms? Where can I park? Ect.
  by Diverging Route

Clean Cab wrote:I'm planning a trip to the Rt. 128 station soon and I need to know what's the best time to take pictures/videos? Are there any good or bad locations on the platforms? Where can I park? Ect.
There's a parking lot attached to the station. $5 for under 14 hours; $12 14-24 hours. You can get good pictures from either platform, as well as the overhead walkway. The garage upper floors also may have decent views, but the station canopies may get in the way.

Just be aware that Amtrak Police and TSA agents conduct random screenings and patrols there. Of course they will tell you it is "illegal" to take pictures, when we all know it's not.
  by ferroequinologist

The ends of the platforms (either one) are probably best for photography. The overhead walkway is OK, but the wires tend to get in the way of a good view. I think the station building gets in the way of views from the top of the parking deck.

As for timing, it depends on what you're interested in. Trains are most frequent during rush hour (I think there are more Amtrak trains at evening rush). Check the schedules (Amtrak and MBTA Providence/Stoughton Line). The CSX freight moves aren't real frequent (the MBTA don't like CSX clogging up its busiest route), but I don't know exactly when they do happen.

As Diverging Route said, there's a parking lot attached to the station. However depending on the timing, you may be able to use the free Amtrak short-term parking (for picking up/dropping off). If you're planning on going to that area to see some trains, may I recommend the Canton Viaduct? There aren't quite as many trains as at 128, but you get a cool view of them.
  by saulblum

Diverging Route wrote:
Clean Cab wrote:Just be aware that Amtrak Police and TSA agents conduct random screenings and patrols there. Of course they will tell you it is "illegal" to take pictures, when we all know it's not.
If harassed by police, please do not give in. The Amtrak photo policy clearly allows for personal photography.

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentSe ... 1267362248

Note that technically, photography is permitted for ticketed passengers. So to technically stay within the regulations, you could purchase a cheap T commuter rail ticket, or buy the cheapest Amtrak ticket and then return it for a refund.

As for the TSA conducting random screenings at Amtrak stations, I have some choice words, which I will not repeat here.
  by Clean Cab

Thanks for the tips and advice on how to handle the cops. I am a Metro North Railroad engineer and I always carry my railroad ID with me, for what's its worth off MNR property. I figure as long as I stay on the platforms I shouldn't be bothered. But just in case, I'll bring along a lot of coffee and donuts!! :)
  by AEM7AC920

You should be fine at 128 that is one of the spots where most buffs taking pics or recording.
  by StevieC48

a great hot spot for photos is Canton Jct. where there is 4 platforms 2 on the corridor and 2 on the turn out for the Stoughton line. That is just a suggestion.
  by ferroequinologist

StevieC48 wrote:a great hot spot for photos is Canton Jct. where there is 4 platforms 2 on the corridor and 2 on the turn out for the Stoughton line. That is just a suggestion.
I second that. Really, all the stations along the Providence Line are good for railfanning. Besides Canton Junction, you can see Acela tilting in action in Sharon, see CSX freight moves in Mansfield (and there's a nearby chocolate factory that smells fantastic), and both are easily accessible from I-95.
  by Clean Cab

Thanks. I will certainly consider taking some pics and vids at Canton Jct. How far apart are Rt. 128 and Canton Jct? Do highways connect them?
  by Rbts Stn

Clean Cab wrote:Thanks. I will certainly consider taking some pics and vids at Canton Jct. How far apart are Rt. 128 and Canton Jct? Do highways connect them?

Under 5 miles by car, many ways to get there, per Google Maps
  by ferroequinologist

Clean Cab wrote:Thanks. I will certainly consider taking some pics and vids at Canton Jct. How far apart are Rt. 128 and Canton Jct? Do highways connect them?
They're 5-10 minutes apart by car. Keep in mind that that highways in the area get extremely congested during rush hour, so it could take far longer, depending on timing. Route 128 is right at the junction of I-95 and Route 128 (and I-93 according to signs), and Canton is one exit south of there on I-95 (Canton Jct isn't too far from the highway). The other stations (Sharon, Mansfield) are also not far from I-95.
  by Clean Cab

Thanks to all for giving so much helpful info. I will probably be making my trip sometime next week. I'll be coming from The Cape and will probably spend a good part of the day at Rt. 128 and Canton Jct. and possibly a few other stations.
  by Diverging Route

Mansfield between 7 and 8 am can be fun.

Between the stopping inbounds and outbound to/from PVD/TFGreen, there's a Mansfield short turn that changes ends at the interlocking just south of the station. An Acela goes by southbound at MAS, and there's often a freight move off the the branch that's squeezed in.
  by Clean Cab

I made it to both Canton Jct and Rt. 128 today. I had problems with both station in terms of shadows and lighting. But I got a few decent pics and videos anyway. My tripod got knoocked over when an eastbound MBTA commtuer blasted by me at Canton Jct. I caught it before it hit the ground fortunately.
  by ferroequinologist

Clean Cab wrote:I made it to both Canton Jct and Rt. 128 today. I had problems with both station in terms of shadows and lighting. But I got a few decent pics and videos anyway. My tripod got knoocked over when an eastbound MBTA commtuer blasted by me at Canton Jct. I caught it before it hit the ground fortunately.
Glad to hear it! Nice catch on the camera. You're lucky it wasn't an Acela Express passing--you have to prevent getting knocked over yourself, let alone diving for a camera.