• RSR and CSX sightings - 2/10

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by ckwwestshore

To and from my swim meet in Webster today coming east on 490 I saw the RSR 879 and some boxcars up top the bridge by the south end of Kodak Park. this was at 3:30. About 1 hr ago coming back I saw two GEEPS heading north lite on the Charlotte Runner overpass. The south facing unit looked like 2577.
  by nessman

I think you got your geography wrong. The trestle over 490 near 390 is the RSR - no where near Kodak Park... what you are seeing on the north side of 490 is the former Delco plant on Lyell Ave. Further east, where 490 goes over a set of RR tracks is what's considered an under grade crossing (where the tracks cross under the road).
  by ckwwestshore

nessman wrote:I think you got your geography wrong. The trestle over 490 near 390 is the RSR - no where near Kodak Park... what you are seeing on the north side of 490 is the former Delco plant on Lyell Ave. Further east, where 490 goes over a set of RR tracks is what's considered an under grade crossing (where the tracks cross under the road).
Thanks...the terminology was just a flat out error, but I always thought that that complex north of the thruway was an extension of KP. Thanks
Charlie
  by scottychaos

ckwwestshore wrote:
nessman wrote:I think you got your geography wrong. The trestle over 490 near 390 is the RSR - no where near Kodak Park... what you are seeing on the north side of 490 is the former Delco plant on Lyell Ave. Further east, where 490 goes over a set of RR tracks is what's considered an under grade crossing (where the tracks cross under the road).
Thanks...the terminology was just a flat out error, but I always thought that that complex north of the thruway was an extension of KP. Thanks
Charlie
Charlie,
one more correction..its not the thruway! ;)
its 490..The thruway is I-90, further south..

and no, its not Kodak there..never has been.

Cool sighting though!
I almost never see Rochester Southern trains north of Brooks ave anymore..

Scot
  by nessman

Once in a blue moon by sheer chance I'll catch the R&S making a move over 490 as I'm driving by.
  by sd80mac

scottychaos wrote:Cool sighting though!
Scot
Yeah I saw solo engine went over CSX at MP 373 at about 530p yesterday... First time I had seen RSR north of Brooks.... I usually go to 373 when I drop boys off at SIR for 1 hour hockey practices. It was nice quiet and empty place until these darn EMT moved to that building... the road is full of parking cars ARGHHH....
  by Lehighton_Man

How often does RSR go up to Matthew's and Fields up in Greece? I know they still serve that... That'd give them a reason to go north of Brooks Ave.
  by nessman

R&S still serves Kodak. Matthew & Field lumber served as needed, usually when they service Kodak.
  by ckwwestshore

The train was probably the BL-1 with another engine in back. They had what looked like a maroon BPRR boxcar with some other stuff in tow on the north end. Was this headed to M&F?
  by apratt

scottychaos wrote:
Cool sighting though!

Scot
Don't they have to go North of Brooks Ave. on a regular basis to interchange with CSX? I drive by Brooks Ave on 390 every day and there is a considerable, almost daily, turn-over of cars in the yard.
R&S still serves Kodak. Matthew & Field lumber served as needed, usually when they service Kodak.
Just as an aside, it's kinda cool that two facilities of the same company are served by two different short-lines (RSR in Greece and LAL in Henrietta.)
  by ckwwestshore

For the first time ever I saw a railroad car in that one track that parallels 490 behind that other facility just west of the RSR tracks where they cross over 490. It was 1 maroon hi-cube AOK boxcar. Any idea what it is carrying? Thanks to all who are helping me in my ignorance too...
  by MP366

FWIW there is an AOK boxcar parked on the siding that parallels 490 that serves the former Valeo plant.
  by nessman

Probably for Atlantic Lumber which occupies the west end of the building.
  by sd80mac

MP366 wrote:FWIW there is an AOK boxcar parked on the siding that parallels 490 that serves the former Valeo plant.
ckwwestshore had beat you by 2 minutes!! :P :wink:
  by railwatcher

I work in the former Valeo plant, former Delco plant now owned by Maguire Properties. Now the home to more than 40 different businesses, including two busing companies (1st Student & Golden Memories), a couple of trucking firms, several small warehousing areas, a truck repair facility, a printing company, an ambulance company, and a bunch of smaller businesses. The tracks are now being used on site with cars entering the building on the south west corner. At least this isn't being used for car storage! It's an interesting facility, worth a ride around it, just to see whats there.

I hear the trains come up to the Lyell Ave crossing occaisonally. Maybe once or twice a week. I have seen this move usually with a SW switcher, and sometimes a second engine. Car count is usually one or two.