• RS-11 FOR SALE

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

by Alcoman

The former LNAC RS-11 is STILL for sale for $35,000.
I thought this locomotive would have been sold a long time ago.
I knew of at least 3 possible buyers in the NY/NJ area and none of them has grabed it yet. Anyone need an RS-11?
If so contact me off list and I will provide details regarding the contact.
Alcoman

by RS-3

I'm surprised too. Ditto the K&K RS-36. Given the shrinking pool of servicable Alcos out there and the general overall tighness of the used locomotive market you would think these units would be gobbled up.

RS

by BR&P

Without rehashing the whole pro-and-con thing about ALCOs, we can presume the only customers would be a road currently using ALCOs - an all-EMD outfit is not likely to switch back. There is a limit to how many units any road needs, and apparently there just is not a demand for them. The RS11 is an older model and with Centuries available here and there that would seem more attractive. The K&K RS36 has mechanical problems - any good shop could repair them, but with the number of ALCOs which have been for sale in recent years apparently those roads which need some have already bought them.

by RS-3

I'd agree re only a Alco railroad would be interested. However if (and thata big if) it was me and I was one of the Alco roads, I'd be cornering the market now (so to speak) if I ever had plans to increase business or expand. Better to pick up useable fodder now than have to settle for GE's or something worse in a couple of years, at twice the price. (The LA&L has been pretty good about thinking, and buying ahead.) The pool of good units grow smaller and smaller. And I don't think being a RS-11 is that bad a thing.

Of course its not my money and I'm just a railfan playing guessing games and not a CMO.

RS