• Route letters and which is which

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by Robert Paniagua

Does anybody know which goes where?

Route A?

Route B?

Route C?

I know a fe (Route G is the new Blue Maryland Extension and Foxtrot is the Southern Green Extension

Thanks in advance
  by Sand Box John

"Robert Paniagua"
Does anybody know which goes where?

Route A?

Route B?

Route C?

I know a fe (Route G is the new Blue Maryland Extension and Foxtrot is the Southern Green Extension

A route Metro Center - Shady Grove Road
B route Metro Center - Glenmont
C route Metro Center - Huntington
D route Metro Center - New Carrollton
E route Gallery Place - Greenbelt
F route Gallery Place - Branch Avenue
G route D and G Junction - Largo Town Center)
J route C and J Junction - Franconia-Springfield
K route Rosslyn / C and J Junction - Vienna
L route L'Enfant Plaza / F and L Junction - C and L junction / Pentagon
N route K and N Junction* - Ryan Road Ashburn (VA-277) (Future Tysons, Dulles, Loudoun County branch.)

The crossing point of the two train hall vaults in Metro Center is the zero chaining point for the A, B, C, D G, J and K routes.

The crossing point of the two train hall vaults in Gallery Place is the zero chaining point for the E, F and L routes.

The zero chaining point for the N route is at chaining station 236+26.00 (26,626.00' (8115.6m) east of zero chaining point in Metro Center) on the D route. Chaining station 236+26.00 is 196' (59.74m) east of the portal east of the Stadium-Armory station.

* The location of the future K and N junction is 2,294' (699.21m) west of the center of the West Fall Church station platform, geographically it under the Great Falls Street overpass. Great Falls Street is the third overpass east of the West Fall Church station.

Why there is no H Route.
The present section of the J route south of the Capitol Beltway (changed in the 1975 ARS) to Franconia-Springfield was previously designated H route (1968 ARS). The route that was never build west of Van Dorn Street Station to the then planed Backlick Road station (1968 ARS) was originally designated J route.

Why there is no I Route.
I is not used because the letter I (eye) closely resemble the numeral 1 (one).

Why there is no M Route.
The M route was/is to be assigned to the Colombia Pike Lincolnia branch off the C route south of Pentagon station.

by Robert Paniagua

Ahh, thanks for the great info, that's a lot of route alignments to cover, it's more like NYC Subway, I wonder if they had used those letters in public mode, that would be interesting.

by Sand Box John

"Robert Paniagua"
Ahh, thanks for the great info, that's a lot of route alignments to cover, it's more like NYC Subway, I wonder if they had used those letters in public mode, that would be interesting.

The letter labels were created for civil engineering purposes and to create a simple letter number labeling system for the train control and signaling system. The line side relay sheds (train control room) are identified with a letter number labels as oppose to names.

Technically speaking the letter number labels are assigned to the RTU (Remote Terminal Unit) in the train control room. The physical RTU is the is the data link interface between the line side train control room and the train control system communication network. (aka IP or MAC address)

The station numbers are assigned in ascending order as the route radiates away from the geographic center of the system. (Chaining point zero) Each of these numbers identifies the station and the adjoining 'zone' of track that the local wayside train control room controls. The 4 two level transfer stations where the lines cross a 90 degrees (Metro Center, Gallery Place, L'Enfant Plaza and Fort Totten) have 2 letter number codes assigned to them one for each route that passes through the station. Some train control rooms do not have passenger station within their control 'zone'.

Number descending from 99 are assigned to yards, yard leads and junctions that are not within the control area of an adjacent passenger station way side train control room.

List of RTU / Train Control Rooms

A route

A01 Metro Center
A02 Farragut North
A03 Dupont Circle
A04 Woodley Park-Zoo
A05 Cleveland Park
A06 Van Ness
A07 Tenleytown
A08 Friendship Heights
A09 Bethesda
A10 Medical Center
A11 Grosvenor
A12 White Flint
A13 Twinbrook
A14 Rockville
A15 Shady Grove
A99 Shady Grove Yard

B Route

B01 Gallery Place
B02 Judiciary Square
B03 Union Station
B3.5 New York Avenue
B99 Brentwood Yard
B04 Rhode Island Avenue
B05 Brookland-CUA
B06 Fort Totten
B07 Takoma
B08 Silver Spring
B09 Forest Glen
B10 Wheaton
B11 Glenmont
B98 Glenmont Yard

C Route

C01 Metro Center
C02 McPherson Square
C03 Farragut West
C04 Foggy Bottom
C05 Rosslyn
C06 Arlington Cemetery
C07 Pentagon
C08 Pentagon City
C09 Crystal City
C10 National Airport
C11* Potomac Yard
C12 Braddock Road
C13 King Street
C97* C and J Junction
C14 Eisenhower Avenue
C15 Huntington

D Route

D01 Federal Triangle
D02 Smithsonian
D03 L'Enfant Plaza
D04 Federal Center SW
D05 Capitol South
D06 Eastern Market
D07 Potomac Avenue
D08 Stadium-Armory
D98* D and G Junction
D09 Minnesota Avenue
D10 Deanwood
D11 Cheverly
D12 Landover
D13 New Carrollton
D99 New Carrollton Yard

E Route

E01 Mount Vernon Square
E02 Shaw
E03 U Street
E04 Columbia Heights
E06 Fort Totten
E07 West Hyattsville
E05 Georgia Avenue-Petworth
E08 Prince George's Plaza
E09 College Park
E10 Greenbelt
E99 Greenbelt Yard

F Route

F01 Gallery Place
F02 Archives
F03 L'Enfant Plaza
F04 Waterfront
F05 Navy Yard
F06 Anacostia
F07 Congress Heights
F09 Naylor Road
F08 Southern Avenue
F10 Suitland
F11 Branch Avenue
F99 Branch Avenue Yard

G Route

G01 Benning Road
G02 Capitol Heights
G03 Addison Road
G04 Morgan Boulevard
G05 Largo Town Center

J Route

C98** Alexandra Yard Lead
C99** Alexandra Yard
J01* Quaker Lane
J02 Van Dorn Street
J03 Franconia-Springfield

K Route

K01 Court House
K02 Clarendon
K03 Virginia Square
K04 Ballston
K05 East Falls Church
K98 K and N Junction (Future)
K06 West Falls Church
K99 Falls Church Yard
K07 Dunn Loring
K08 Vienna

N Route (Subject to change)

N97 Falls Church Yard Lead
N01* Dulles Connector Road
N02 Tysons East (WestGate)
N03 Tysons Central 123 (Tysons Center)
N04 Tysons Central 7 (Pike Seven Plaza)
N05 Tysons West (Spring Hill Road)
N06* Wolf Trap
N07* Hunter Mill
N08 Wiehle Avenue
N09 Reston Parkway
N10 Herndon Monroe
N11 VA-28 (Sulley Road)
N12 Dulles International Airport
N13* Dulles Pocket
N98 Dullas Yard lead
N99 Dulles Yard
N14 VA-606 (Morgan Road)
N15 VA-772-Ryan Road (Ryan Road Ashburn)

* Train control RTU that do not have a passenger station within their area of control.
** Train control RTUs that are physically along the J route but were built as part of the C route.

The reason why there is no list for the L route is because train control on the L route is under the control of the train control rooms in C07 Pentagon and F03 L'Enfant Plaza.

Atlanta MARTA, Bart, Baltimore Metro, Los Angeles MTA Red Line and Miami-Dade County Metrorail used uses similar schemes for civil engineering and train control room labeling.
Last edited by Sand Box John on Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by Robert Paniagua

Thanks for that nice info! I didn't know they got all that stuff.

by Sand Box John

"Robert Paniagua"
Thanks for that nice info! I didn't know they got all that stuff.

That's just the schema as to how things are labeled.

There are RTUs in locations where there are no train control rooms.

The RTUs also are used to convey the status of support facilities throughout system to central control controllers.
Those status are;
Elevators (on off, level location, doors)
Escalators (on off, direction)
Ejector pumping stations
Fan Shafts (dampers, fan air flow direction)
Fare collection system data
Intrusion (doors, hatches, selected sections of right of way fence)
Smoke detection
Station air conditioning (chiller pumps, air handler fans, fresh air intake dampers and fans)
Station power (lighting, air conditioning, escalators, elevators. . .)
Station and tunnel backup power systems
Traction power substations
Traction power tie breaker stations (3 tie breaker station have their own RTUs; A98, J97, J98)
Vent shafts (dampers)

The data for the Passenger Information Messaging System (PIMS) is delivered to the equipment that drives those displays through the RTUs.

The communication network uses fiber optic as the communication media.

The fiber optic network also carries voice (telephone), radio (police, fire and trains frequencies) intranet (WMATA internal computer network), video (video from some of the surveillance cameras can be displayed on monitors in central control).

I am not sure but I believe Verzion uses some of the bandwidth on WMATA fiber optic network for their cellular phone system. Verzion does have fiber optic cables in some of the tunnels that is totally separate from WMATA's fiber optic network.

by Robert Paniagua

Wow, that's amazing, even with CCTV, intranet/internet and the brain, literally of the entire system. And:

M97 Falls Church Yard Lead
M01* Dulles Connector Road
M02 Tysons East (WestGate)
M03 Tysons Central 123 (Tysons Center)
M04 Tysons Central 7 (Pike Seven Plaza)
M05 Tysons West (Spring Hill Road)
M06* Wolf Trap
M07* Hunter Mill
M08 Wiehle Avenue
M09 Reston Parkway
M10 Herndon Monroe
M11 VA-28 (Sulley Road)
M12 Dulles International Airport
M13* Dulles Pocket
M98 Dullas Yard lead
M99 Dulles Yard
M14 VA-606 (Morgan Road)
M15 VA-772-Ryan Road (Ryan Road Ashburn)

I think you meant to put the N instead of M in the numeral system, such as N99, N14 etc...

by Sand Box John

"Robert Paniagua"
Wow, that's amazing, even with CCTV, intranet/internet and the brain, literally of the entire system. And:

. . . . . . .

I think you meant to put the N instead of M in the numeral system, such as N99, N14 etc...

You are correct. Corrected above.

The above list was ripped from an older document I created based on the information from the Draft Environmental Impact Statement (DEIS) and other sources. At the time of the publishing of the DEIS I had not received confirmation that the Tyson, Dulles, Loudoun County branch was in fact the N route. Previously I was unofficially calling it the M route.

by Robert Paniagua

I saw the corrections. Thanks

The above list was ripped from an older document I created based on the information from the Draft Environmental Impact Statement (DEIS) and other sources. At the time of the publishing of the DEIS I had not received confirmation that the Tyson, Dulles, Loudoun County branch was in fact the N route. Previously I was unofficially calling it the M route.

Oh I see, it sure was a very old document before the update

by Sand Box John

"Robert Paniagua"
I saw the corrections. Thanks

Your welcome

Oh I see, it sure was a very old document before the update

The document I created and used as reference is dated May 13, 2005, The DEIS dates to October 07, 2002.

None of the FEIS documents were published on the web. The only thing that was published on the web was the Executive Summary. To see all of the Volumes of the DEIS one had to go to one of the Public Libraries or one of the Government Office in Fairfax or Loudoun County Virginia, which I did several time to make photo copies of selected pages.

Conformation that the Tysons, Dulles, Loudoun County branch is in fact the N Route was confirmed in the FEIS document Volume IV: General Construction Site Plan (1.48 MB PDF) on sheet 005, The PDF document is dated December 10, 2004, the date on the pages of the document are July 2004. I didn’t notice the N label on the map on sheet 005 until after I created the document I used as a reference.

You probably have seen these, If not here they are again.

WMATA metrorail 106 mile ARS track schematic The system today
WMATA metrorail 129 mile ARS track schematic The system today plus 23 mile Tysons, Dulles, Loudoun County N Route.
(Note: The schematic is basically the same as what is in the present plans. The only major difference is the future provision for a station at Wolf Trap has been deleted. Minor differences are station names.)