• Rotem Cars Discussion (new bi-level cars)

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Silverliner II

jamesinclair wrote:These cars are required to have full ADA right?

Electronic destination signs on the outside?
LCD/LED screens on inside showing next station/destination with automated audio announcements?
Yes.
  by RailBus63

The building is under renovation and will no doubt look much better when completed. As for the tracks, they will obviously have to be reconditioned before the plant opens, especially if part of the trackage is to be used for testing purposes.
  by diburning

Here's rotem's official page about the cars.

http://www.hyundai-rotem.co.kr/Eng/Busi ... _pop18.asp

It seems that it will look very similar to a K-car, but with a rounded roof, and marker lights at the bottom next to the ditch lights.

Also, it says inboard bogies. Does that mean it will be similar to the pioneer trucks on the bombardier cars?
  by MBTA3247

What, exactly, is electro-pneumatic braking?
  by MBTA3247

That's what I thought, I just haven't seen that version of the name before.
  by realtype

I have a question about the current K-cars. Do the side exit doors slide electrically (and are they trainlined) like the newer MARC/LIRR versions?

diburning wrote:Here's rotem's official page about the cars.

It seems that it will look very similar to a K-car, but with a rounded roof, and marker lights at the bottom next to the ditch lights.

Also, it says inboard bogies. Does that mean it will be similar to the pioneer trucks on the bombardier cars?
166kph=~103mph They're joking right? The top speed of MARC's Kawasakis are 125mph. Well, you get what you pay for. SEPTA and MBTA will find out soon enough...
  by ST214

Only the cars assigned to the Old Colony lines have power doors...everything else is manual.

realtype wrote:I have a question about the current K-cars. Do the side exit doors slide electrically (and are they trainlined) like the newer MARC/LIRR versions?

diburning wrote:Here's rotem's official page about the cars.

166kph=~103mph They're joking right? The top speed of MARC's Kawasakis are 125mph. Well, you get what you pay for. SEPTA and MBTA will find out soon enough...
  by sery2831

realtype wrote:I have a question about the current K-cars. Do the side exit doors slide electrically (and are they trainlined) like the newer MARC/LIRR versions?
All K cars have electric doors, just cars assigned to the Old Colony Lines have them activated. The same will be with all new CR equipment purchased.
  by jamesinclair

When will we get the cool automatic glass sliding doors between cars used on amtrak on the acela and in europe
  by danib62

jamesinclair wrote:When will we get the cool automatic glass sliding doors between cars used on amtrak on the acela and in europe
Ummm have you looked at the economy recently?
  by sery2831

Not sure if it is related, but the track or engineering dept has been out at night with a laser rigged up to a high rail to measure the height of bridges. Could be something that is done every now and then though so I am not sure.